Can't open comments (Solved)

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
chiefjim

Can't open comments (Solved)

Post by chiefjim »

One of the websites I follow, Newsday.com, often has comments posted to the articles. These open fine with Firefox or Opera but not with Slimjet. Odds are it is a setting I've either not found or messed up.

Any hints on fixing this?
Last edited by chiefjim on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oftentired

Re: Can't open comments

Post by oftentired »

I tried the news website and a random article and I was able to open the comments to read them.

chiefjim

Post by chiefjim »

Perhaps if I reset everything to defaults I can correct it. Prefer to avoid that route if possible as I have plenty of logins that would all need to be redone.

dev

Post by dev »

Is your adblocker blocking them or check if java is enabled on that site. Check if any extensions you have is not the problem.

It may be this. To continue reading, Newsday subscribers log in or register or this
Comments
Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

chiefjim

Post by chiefjim »

dev wrote:Is your adblocker blocking them or check if java is enabled on that site. Check if any extensions you have is not the problem.

It may be this. To continue reading, Newsday subscribers log in or register or this
Comments
Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.
Except that works fine with other browsers. Question remain why?

I tried deleting everything Slimjet. Installed beta 5.0.0.0 No extensions added at all. No adblocker yet. No change.

Comments posted on other websites work, like foxnews.

dev

Post by dev »

Try rolling back to 4.15 or updating to 5.1 beta. A pain in the ass but worth a try like you said its going be some daft little setting that might get reset. There is a reset registry setting in main settings that might be worth a try.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Rolling back is problematic :( it would be a last resort for me.

Install recently released 5.0.2.0 first and make sure the ad blocker is disabled for the website. I'd be inclined to think it may be java related.

dev

Post by dev »

oftentired wrote:Rolling back is problematic :( it would be a last resort for me.

Install recently released 5.0.2.0 first and make sure the ad blocker is disabled for the website. I'd be inclined to think it may be java related.
Yeah i suppose it can be but if you back up your user data file and the program files (4.15 for instance) Its only a matter of reinstating them after removal of the contents within the folders, just copy them into their original destinations.
Yup i think its a java issue as most comments on websites use java to work.

chiefjim

Re: Can't open comments (Solved)

Post by chiefjim »

Reinstalling did the trick. I went back to an older but fresh burn of Linux Mint 17.2. First booting as a live disc I then entered the home partition and deleted all configuration files and folders with the exception of .mozilla and .thunderbird. Then I ran the install.

End result being Slimjet now has the comments displayed when using newsday.com. Another pleasant surprise surfaced when my remastered discs now burn and load normally. Before it got hung up with the login credentials.