Add search?

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
Mikeusername

Add search?

Post by Mikeusername »

How do I add or edit search engines in slimjet.
I have added one but it never appears in the drop-down and it won't let me edit an existing one to what I want.
Been having trouble searching the forum for anything on this as I just keep getting something about no results as search phrases are too common.

neo.hackx14

Re: Add search?

Post by neo.hackx14 »

You won't be able to do this by simply going to manage search engines in settings.

There is another way of making a custom search engine to be listed and making default on your Slimjet or Chrome..

Follow these simple steps

1. open the search page you would like to add as a new search engine, I am adding aol.com
2. right click in the search bar and select "Add as a search engine" - See attached image**
1.png
3. A pop box will appear in which you can put in the name & keyword, do not change the search url which is listed in last box
4. Simply add this as a search engine
5. Go to Settings ->omnibox -> manage search engines -> There you will see your new custom search Engine & with an option to set as default.

I hope that solves your query

cheers!

Mikeusername

Post by Mikeusername »

Thanks for that, though I am still having problems.
I wanted to have a duckduckgo search that returned results mainly from the UK, I hoped something like this URL might do that, http://duckduckgo.com/q=%s&kl=uk-en but I'm not getting anywhere with it, everything I have tried so far just results in another standard DDG search or I don't get the 'add search' option in the drop-down sometimes.
I have tried setting the region and various other things in the DDG settings but it never saves them.

dev

Post by dev »

Duckduck go has not really got a true uk version as yet, i use startpage its as good if not better than duckduckgo on all things private.

Settings then omnibox then manage search engines.
In the pop box add new engine it will be best in this format below

Startpage HTTPS - UK startpage.co.uk https://startpage.com/do/search?query=% ... english_uk

add new search then make it the default (just hover mouse over search engines till you see make default in blue text

You could try duckduckgo this way with your url http://duckduckgo.com/q=%s&kl=uk-en but you will still get US suffixes .com .net etc not .co.uk

Mikeusername

Post by Mikeusername »

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried the link to Startpage and one that it's settings page generated but I'm still not getting the 'add to search' drop-down for anything, this option only seems to appear on things like retail sites for me, It even offers it for the forum search box but not on any of the DDG or Startpage search boxes I get, is there anything like a settings file that I could alter manually to add search engines.

I'm not bothered about getting search results exclusively from the UK, just something with a bias towards them, but also something for general searches. I used to have google.com and google.co.uk until I started looking at the info about DDG and what they say about google, when trying Slimjet.

dev

Post by dev »

Mikeusername wrote:, is there anything like a settings file that I could alter manually to add search engines.

Yeah i described how to do that in my last post. :roll:
Or go to startpage homepage and click "add to chrome" dialogue

Mikeusername

Post by Mikeusername »

I have got Startpage installed as a search now, I used the 'install plugin' option on their settings page, it seems to do all I want as it has an option to switch to UK.
I can't get the 'manage search engines' to do anything much, if I try to add one it never comes up in the drop-down and it won't let me edit an existing search so I was really wondering if there was one of slimjets program files I could alter to add/edit them, I used to be able to do this with Opera 12.