Being blocked from acknowledging cookies and more

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
keepreal

Being blocked from acknowledging cookies and more

Post by keepreal »

I would not be concerned if this only affects the one site but I imagine the same will sometimes happen elsewhere:

On opening audi.co.uk a message comes up saying "This website uses cookies" but nothing happens when I click on "continue". Similarly, other responses fail making use of the site close to impossible. I am not aware of having set an option in Slimjet settings that could account for this. Also, every change to that I tried made no difference.

Any ideas, or do I just have to be prepared occasionally to continue using Internet Explorer when a site fails to function on Slimjet?

dev

Re: Being blocked from acknowledging cookies and more

Post by dev »

Two options to cure this problem install a adblocker, ublock or adblock plus etc and then subscribe to this list http://prebake.eu/. This list exists because the EU wanted websites to be clear on their cookie policy that's also the reason your getting that cookie message. I use ublock which uses less ram than other blocking software but the list subscription is slightly different to use so send me a pm on here and i'll guide you through it if you get stuck.

You could block the cookies that are set by that site by the method i told you about in the other post.

I'm in the uk and i can visit that site without any trouble in slimjet

note added: check you have javascript enabled chrome://settings/content

keepreal

Post by keepreal »

Dev, you really are very knowledgeable and a great help.

I just installed Slimjet on my second machine, an almost identical PC.

On that, I installed from the first machine the identical User Data folder and was surprised to find that as a result I even had Adblock Plus and Prebake there without further effort.

However, if after using Task Manager to end slimjet.exe from running, I renamed "User Data" to "~User Data" and reinstated the folders that Slimjet created when I first opened Slimjet after installing it, Audi works. So I presume I have a Slimjet setting in there somewhere that is the problem.

Laborious, but if all else fails, maybe I need to run both scenarios, copy the Slimjet settings down in each case and identify the differences. Surely the problem has to be in there somewhere. Yes or no?

Thinking along those lines got me thinking that maybe blocking third party cookies was the cause of the problem, but not at all.

On the original PC, I already had tried blocking Audi.co.uk's cookies without success. I already had Adblock Plus so added Prebake, which seems useful to have anyway. That did not work, nor both together when I reinput the deleted block on Audi cookies.

Incidentally, with FT.com, having a block set does nothing at all! I deleted its cookies with Sqlitebrowser and the block on cookies did not stop them coming back again. Same with Thetimes.co.uk. Very odd.

BTW, I do have javascript enabled.

dev

Post by dev »

There is no need in the great scheme of things to block cookies at all really but i understand why people do, what i do well what i have my cookies set as in slimjet are chrome://settings/content cookies keep local data only until you quit the browser then i have everything to be cleaned on exiting slimjet with under privacy settings, i then also clean everything with ccleaner with CCEnhancer https://singularlabs.com/software/ccenhancer/ installed when i'm done on the computer.

The fact you tried slimjet with exactly the same profile / user data and said site works might point to a problem on the first pc that may be the problem your anti virus blocking the site for a example not slimjet. For the meantime i would try on your first pc to use slimjet's inbuilt register fix
chrome://settings/ then down to default browser then Repair browser registry settings. This will set slimjet to the same settings as a fresh install.

Don't forget or if you didn't know that the prebake list doesn't block cookies it only blocks the message that pops up saying this site uses cookies blah blah etc.
https://github.com/r4vi/block-the-eu-cookie-shit-list is another list and https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... nd-the-web is a handy list, tho prebake and this list Fanboy Ultimate Adblock list https://www.fanboy.co.nz/filters.html is all you need really. Too many lists and blocks will grind slimjet to a halt, it has happen to users here and has been brought up in various forum threads.

keepreal

Post by keepreal »

In despair, I renamed my user folders so that Slimjet could not find them and then rebuilt my chosen options and settings again from scratch. I am not aware of any differences from what I had before, except that everything, as far as I am aware, now is working!