More than one instance of Slimjet with unique profile folder

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
ClareLondon

More than one instance of Slimjet with unique profile folder

Post by ClareLondon »

is it possible to run two instances of Slimjet, each with its own profile folder? WINDOWS 7.

This is what I've tried so far.

(1) installed Slimjet C:\browsers\Slimjet_1,
(2) Slimjet created the profile In user/appdata/local/slimjet/userdata
(3) I renamed that folder userdata_1
(4) Then installed a second instance of Slimjet C:\browsers\Slimjet_2,
(4) a new data folder was automatically created user/appdata/local/slimjet

But both instances of Slimjet only used the default profile /userdata

Anyone got any idea how to make multiple Slimjet installations point to different profiles?

Thanks.

dev

Re: More than one instance of Slimjet with unique profile fo

Post by dev »

I don't think you can run them simultaneously tho.

zoldefoxx

Re: More than one instance of Slimjet with unique profile fo

Post by zoldefoxx »

I get pretty much the effect you want by using two different browsers and splitting the screen between them. There are three browsers that are fundamentally alike: Slimjet, Chromium, and Google Chrome. In fact, they are so alike that tips, add-on, and extensions for Chrome apply to the other two equally well. For instance, I want the flash plug-in disabled in Chromium or Slimjet, the method found for Google Chrome does the trick. These three browsers are that much alike underneath. Om fact I have two favorite configurations, one with the flash disabled, and one with it enabled. It's simple to change, so one pair would be enough. But it's just one less step to do each time if I go with my default setups:

I go with Chrome and Chromium as a pair with flash disabled. It's almost incanny how they resemble each other, yet occupy different folders and diles, so can have different profiles.

I go with Slimjet and its Incognito Window approach, with flash enabled. All three browsers support Incognito Windows, bit Slimjet lets you remove the Incognito shadow figure from the top bar, so looks and acts the same as the original. Now at present, none of the browsers allows you to set up permanent profiles for their Incognito Windows, and I think it would be teriffic if they did. Incognito doesn't have to be about secrecy, it's just wanting two or more activtyies happening at once, each possibly supported by somewhat different profiles. For instance, I enter my name and my wife's name into online contests at the same time. By splitting the screen between two separate browsers, I can play for her on one side and play for myself on the other. So there is a profile for her and another for me, with different given names and dates of birth. I make better use of my time this way, and she can engage in other activities as ir suits her.