How to update in this case?

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
chelonian

How to update in this case?

Post by chelonian »

I am running Slimjet Version 32.0.2.0 and would like to update to the latest version but when I go to do that, it downloads something but then "the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..." then "no application associated" and "failed to launch update installer." That last one suggests I download the manual installer. So I guess I have to download the installer off the Slimjet website.

But I seriously don't want to lose any of my saved logins, Chrome extensions, bookmarks, history, etc.

What's the 100% safe, correct way to do this?

oftentired

Re: How to update in this case?

Post by oftentired »

32.0.3 fixes a bug with the installer. In order to update from 32.0.2 to 32.0.4 you must manually download the offline installer and then run the installer.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

chelonian

Post by chelonian »

The regular installer or the "portable" one?

And if I do this, it will know not to erase all of my bookmarks, history, Chrome extensions, logins/passwords, etc.?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Whichever matches your current, if you have the normal install then grab the Offline installer for that, if you have portable then grab portable.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

chelonian

Post by chelonian »

oftentired wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:36 pm
Whichever matches your current, if you have the normal install then grab the Offline installer for that, if you have portable then grab portable.
Do I have to do anything special to insure using the Offline installer will not erase all of my bookmarks, history, Chrome extensions, logins/passwords, etc.?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

There should be no problems. I don't like the auto updater so I always do my updates manually. It causes the same things to happen as if your using the automatic update feature. Just you have to do it manually by downloading and clicking it like you to run any other program you have.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

chelonian

Post by chelonian »

oftentired wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:53 am
There should be no problems. I don't like the auto updater so I always do my updates manually. It causes the same things to happen as if your using the automatic update feature. Just you have to do it manually by downloading and clicking it like you to run any other program you have.
I downloaded the offline installer from the Slimjet website, ran it, and it said "failed to extract setup files" and then just hangs. It doesn't update.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

That seems a bit unusual.

Which operating system are you running?

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

chelonian

Post by chelonian »

oftentired wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:10 pm
That seems a bit unusual.

Which operating system are you running?
Windows 7 Home Premium.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

So the default offline installer choice should work on your box.

There is more than one possible reason for a failure to extract. An issue with the Slimjet installer is the least likely. But, you may want to download the offline installer one more time just to be sure you didn't get a bad download.

Two things I would check out first if it was my box, is to check how much disk space I have available and to run some anti-malware software. You can get an online scan done that does not require a download or install.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11