Removal of Tabs on Home Page

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
graybeard47

Removal of Tabs on Home Page

Post by graybeard47 »

I want to remove all the large squared tabs of the various web sites on the "Home Page" that appeared after installing Slimjet. I have not been able to find anything in the Customize-Control that appears to adjust this feature .

Thank you

oftentired

Re: Removal of Tabs on Home Page

Post by oftentired »

you can reduce how many recently visited site thumbnails that appear on the, "Newpage", but you cannot remove them entirely.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

graybeard47

Post by graybeard47 »

This reply has brought up a means but I still have no idea what to do:"you can reduce how many recently visited site thumbnails that appear on the, "Newpage".

1. What and where is the "Newpage"?

2.How does one reduce them?

I did not visit any of these numerous "visited site thumbnails". These all appeared from the onset on the installation of Slimjet.

Thank you

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Why can I not have just one row of tiles on the start page? It would seem that the absolute minimum is two.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

graybeard47 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:33 am
This reply has brought up a means but I still have no idea what to do:"you can reduce how many recently visited site thumbnails that appear on the, "Newpage".

1. What and where is the "Newpage"?

2.How does one reduce them?

I did not visit any of these numerous "visited site thumbnails". These all appeared from the onset on the installation of Slimjet.

Thank you
Thank you for questioning my reply. I did not spend a lot of time writing it.

What I think your looking at is the chrome://newtab which can be selected for "On Startup" in the settings. It is the selection called, "Open the new tab page". The newtab page can be customized by clicking the gear icon near the upper right of the page. The customize interface is not very friendly as it gives you no clue as to the upper and lower limits until you try to Okay it and then it either does or does not accept your choices. Mine is set for 2 rows with 4 columns which I believe is the lower limit. The thumbnails will adjust in size based on how many you choose to show.

Another choice you can make, which may be preferred, is to install an extension that either replaces the newtab page entirely with one provided by the extension or perhaps an extension that takes control of the existing newtab page. I don't know for sure what is available as I've never bothered with it. But, I've seen mention of them on this forum, so they are out there.

Finally you can select a different startup page and use chrome://new-tab-page, which has a different look than the default newtab page. You might give it a try and see if you like it.

And to answer another of your questions. On the newtab page. The shortcuts represented by thumbnails, the default is a set of shortcuts that are preset. You can hover your mouse over the thumbnail you want to mess with and click the Edit icon and change some settings related to the shortcut the thumbnail is set to. If you just delete the current shortcut, it will then start populating with URLS that you frequently go to. My preference is to populate with my "daily" URLs that I go to twice (or more x) a day.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11