How to transfer Slimjet from one PC to another? Portable version loses everything except bookmarks!

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
nima_amin

How to transfer Slimjet from one PC to another? Portable version loses everything except bookmarks!

Post by nima_amin »

How do I transfer Slimjet from one PC to another? Slimjet Portable is no help, since it is losing everything except for the bookmarks. All custon settings, designs / skins and add-ons are gone.

oftentired

Re: How to transfer Slimjet from one PC to another? Portable version loses everything except bookmarks!

Post by oftentired »

The easiest way is to make use of google cloud by logging into a google account and setting it up to automatically upload the settings and automatically download them to any new computers you log into from.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Passenger

Re: How to transfer Slimjet from one PC to another? Portable version loses everything except bookmarks!

Post by Passenger »

If you're super paranoid about the cloud, copy this directory with contents to a CD and then to the new computer.

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data

Also -- Copying that to a zip file on a CD every so often is a good emergency back up.

nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

I copied this very folder to a stick, and it didn't work. It actallyshows fully on the new PC's drive. However when your the browser it says somethin of of having set back (zurückgesetzt in German) some setting s for security reasons. The "some settings" are all but the bookmarks in all user profiles. Must it be a CD? (Actually we don't have any). Why do you call it portable version? A portable version is meant to work plug and play from a USB stick. Without having to registrate accounts with Google or carrying a CD burner and CDs with you. Strange! Do you have any plans to ever fix that issue, because on Portableapps.com I have seen a post from someone dating back to 2018 reporting that same problem.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

No reason I can think of that it must be a CD. That is merely what I use for emergency backups (in addition to the cloud).

nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

It does not work. Slimjet "Portable" cannot be transferred AT ALL to another machine. On startup of the new machine it says that another programme has had access to the browser (which is a lie) and that therefore some settings (which is indeed eveyrthing except bookmarks) has been set back. "Set back" also means that all addons are deleted (not disabled but completely gone!) Which is especially uncomfortable since unlike Firefox with Chrome there is no offline install of addons. Which meanss you need two machines each with online access and have to search and install each addon manually anew. Please fix that! This is no portable device!

nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

So, here you can see what happenes when copying Slimjet even within the same computer. Left side original with all extensions, right side copy after first start. All extensions gone with the wind. Settings as well (I don't know where they are stored). Transport impossible!

https://www.daten-hoster.de/file/detail ... opying.png

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

I copied Slimjet from Desktop to Laptop some time ago without issue and out of curiosity and since I decided to clean things up on the PC I copied installed SJ to a portable SJ and everything is working fine, not sure why you have such issues but it is portable or at least can be backed up and made to be portable (as I did from the installed to portable version just moments ago).

I assume you are using an account with Admin privileges and that the browser is closed when you attempt to copy the data correct?

CarefulCat

Post by CarefulCat »

I have the same problem and in this thread two others too:
(meh... as Links are not allowed for new users: search this forum for "Slimjet is NOT portable")

There is an answer about using switches, which dont work:
slimjet.exe --disable-machine-id --disable-encryption-win --disable-encryption

It seems, Slimjet is coupled on a Computer ID, which would explain, why the copying works for Tweakerz, but not for copying it to another Windows OS.

This makes Slimjet to an NOT portable browser!

Maybe a Dev could write something about this behavior...

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

CarefulCat wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:26 pm
I have the same problem and in this thread two others too:
(meh... as Links are not allowed for new users: search this forum for "Slimjet is NOT portable")

There is an answer about using switches, which dont work:
slimjet.exe --disable-machine-id --disable-encryption-win --disable-encryption

It seems, Slimjet is coupled on a Computer ID, which would explain, why the copying works for Tweakerz, but not for copying it to another Windows OS.

This makes Slimjet to an NOT portable browser!

Maybe a Dev could write something about this behavior...
I was able to move between the custom-built desktop and a Dell laptop for what it is worth, nowadays I don't even have it installed on either though so I have nothing new to add, just making sure that was clear and wishing you and others good luck resolving this issue.