Question about search engine set up in omnibox.

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
Passenger

Question about search engine set up in omnibox.

Post by Passenger »

My OS is Windows 7
I have Slimjet 24.0.6.0 (latest and greatest as of this posting) with NoScript extension.

I know how to add search engines and get them to work with a keyword.
How do I get them to move up to the default list?

I do not want to replace the current default with just one of them, I want to move several of them up to the default list.

Thank you.

Where I am now with everything working as expected so far:

oftentired

Re: Question about search engine set up in omnibox.

Post by oftentired »

Did you try clicking the 3 dot menu to the right of your "other search engine" entry that you would like to make default?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

oftentired wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:47 pm
Did you try clicking the 3 dot menu to the right of your "other search engine" entry that you would like to make default?
That will replace the current default.

Simultaneously the old default moves down to the lower list. Basically they switch places.

I want a list of defaults similar to what it's like when installed but not the exact same list.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Clarification:

I am trying to move up a few of the search engines to look something like this again (but not with the Slimjet or Chrome default list).

This image is taken from a website that discusses the Chrome search engine list but does not answer my question.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

C'mon folks.

Slimjet out of the box so to speak has multiple default search engines (and some nice features that make use of that).

There must be some way to get sites from the bottom list to the top list without demoting the the top default down to the bottom list.

I'm up for it, even if it involves a bit of under the covers fiddling with the user data.

Anyone?

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

Personally I use Context Menu Search more than anything but I have a list of 5 in the default and a LOT in the "other" field, how did you end up with only one in the default as maybe that has something to do with the issue? Just trying to see what I can understand on how it got to this point in hopes it helps get things back and also offering a possible alternative.

I like Context Menu Search FAR more personally anyway as I can use it with all browsers and easily have all matching between the laptop and desktop and as stated other browsers as well. It is also so easy to have the option to search so many custom options not normally offered (like Newegg for example) with a right-click.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I deleted those because I did not want them there and want to put in some others instead.

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

Passenger wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:23 am
I deleted those because I did not want them there and want to put in some others instead.
I am not certain this is ideal but I think this would be the best option.

Reinstall the browser, probably after you remove it so they all return to be like it was originally as I am not positive how to get them back otherwise.

Get a text file listing all that you want to add and note what you want to be removed. Rather than removing them this time just edit the ones you want to remove and use the existing fields to add the ones you want to keep. Then they'll all be in the right places and if you prepared the list beforehand you can figure out the exact order you'd like them listed in as well.

Otherwise, you could just try the Context Menu Search extension for a better solution (I think).

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Full reinstall without any assurance it will do what I want? No.

I can live with it the way it is now, using keywords.

Or could I hack it by editing one file under the covers?

What I initially tried that didn't work was dragging them with the mouse on the settings page, as it might be playlist entries on YouTube.

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

Disregard, my apologies but I just realized the search string field is not editable so this idea won't work. If I think of anything I'll drop a line.