Block Redirects

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
LimboSlam

Block Redirects

Post by LimboSlam »

Hey everyone. Well I got on my laptop to use someones near by open wifi (xfinitywifi 3) and decided to try out Hotspot Shield again, cuz I heard it has improved. It has, speed improvement, no more pums, pups/adware during installation and only during installation. But it still injects annoying code (adware, pop ups, redirects) at browser start up and sometimes when entering a url in the address bar.

Anyways, is there anyway to stop redirects when browsing? I know Slimjet has the option to " Replace indirect link in search engine results with direct link to original site," but that does not help if the injected code (redirected link or url) is directed to the website that promotes the add/link.

dev

Re: Block Redirects

Post by dev »

Sounds like you missed a tick box when you were installing hotspot, something like Do you want to make so and so search engine the default ? I know it doesn't answer your ? but why install a product that does that anyhow ?

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

Yeah I'm not using it anymore, as it still a load of crap!! But it would be nice to see an option to block redirects, like in Firefox. They call it, "Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page." Hey, I wonder if there's an extension for it?? Hmmmm....... I mite have to do some browsing. Well I hope this can be integrated in the near future, really do!!! :)

dev

Post by dev »

I don't think there is a way to block Meta refresh in slimjet/chrome as most are caused by google themselves. You could disable java or use noscript, i would also check through any userscripts that may do it. https://greasyfork.org/en http://userscripts-mirror.org/index.html

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

Thanks, this helps a lot! :)

Calven McVetty

Post by Calven McVetty »

HELP. I love Slimjet, but i can't use it for serious web browsing because IT HAS NO ABILITY TO BLOCK REDIRECTS AT ALL, NONE. Or at least none that i can tell, if it is here, i don't see it. Like the other guy said, Firefox has the ability to warn or block all redirects, but Slimjet does not, and as a result, you get slammed hard on the internet outside of the easy family sites. I can't yet use Slimjet as my goto browser without that option. Please create a button that you can push to stop ALL redirects. :?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Calven McVetty wrote:IT HAS NO ABILITY TO BLOCK REDIRECTS AT ALL, NONE.
It looks like Google Chrome is working on this. If it gets worked into the underlying Blink engine then it will come onboard when Slimjet updates to 64 and 65. If not in the Blink engine then I think Flashpeak should address it. I do agree page redirect is an irritant. It is also a way to circumvent the adblocker.

Article About It
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Calven McVetty

Post by Calven McVetty »

Thanks for the reply... I hope they do what Firefox does and just gives you that option to stop redirects, because at this point, i rarely use slimjet now when otherwise it would be my goto browser.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »