Chrome's phishing/malware protection vs. antivirus prog

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
paul1149

Chrome's phishing/malware protection vs. antivirus prog

Post by paul1149 »

Does Chrome's "Enable phishing and malware protection" setting interfere with that of a separate AV prog? I don't want to duplicate protection, for the sake of efficiency.

Thanks,
Paul

dev

Re: Chrome's phishing/malware protection vs. antivirus prog

Post by dev »

Google maintains a list of websites that may put you at risk for malware or phishing plus Google analyses website content and warns you if a site seems dangerous. The main problem with it, is your privacy with having it enabled because its one of those settings that send your browsing habits, data back to google and that to me is the best reason to disable it.
As to duplicate protection you will probably find that if your Av has protection for phishing (Some Av's don't) that its the same list that Google use.
To me its your Av solution that should stop these attacks, that its job. Not some settings in a browser which for the main part throws up more false positives and then in turn slows down the browser.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Ok, thanks. If that's the case, then I'd rather have Panda, which I trust more, do the filtering. And with the netbooks I work on, I can't afford to have duplicated efforts.

Paul

dev

Post by dev »

paul1149 wrote:Ok, thanks. If that's the case, then I'd rather have Panda, which I trust more, do the filtering. And with the netbooks I work on, I can't afford to have duplicated efforts.

Paul
I use Panda cloud, have for a few years now its a simple free cloud based Av solution as you know. It use to be very light on memory usage hence probably why you use it on your customer's netbooks but since its last few updates i noticed it had increased its memory usage so in turn i did a bit of browsing and with that i found this great article from Raymond cc
(https://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free- ... ory-usage/ ) it is a well known and trusted site for its advice.
You will see that Avast is number 1 due to the fact it is a free solution but i would seriously look at the paid solution of Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus as a recommendation Av solution for your customers if they can afford it. I use it and i don't even notice that its running and with its latest engine it has one of the highest protection rates that are going in the Av market.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Good article. I'm surprised to see Avast and even AVG score so well on memory. But he didn't touch the issue of CPU usage. MSE, for instance, routinely goes to 50% while working, and hangs there for quite some time, and it can even go to 93%. It used to be a light AV.

Then there's the issue of effectiveness, and finally, the user interface. One reason I dropped Avast and AVG is the interface is way too complicated.

Panda Cloud, btw, is no more. They have shifted it to Panda Free AV with a local database, using the same engine as their Pro edition.

dev

Post by dev »

Yeah they use the XMT engine but its still cloud based, it had popups too every 30mins spamming software to buy but i think they have now put a option to disable them. Its not as light as it use to be on my system and webroot makes it look like bloatware :D

The article does need a update to cover cpu usage and to retest the Av software. Avast has changed to include more monitoring so i would say it has a bit more bloat to it. I also think there is a big difference between windows 7 and windows 8/10 as I've seen some products give real good protection on windows 8 but struggle on windows 7.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Panda's popups are too much, but they're easily turned off. They need to moderate that. The engine, as I understand it, is cloud-enhanced rather than cloud-based. There is a local database.

Webroot sounds good, but I need a free solution for deployment.