How to add Wikipedia as a Search Engine

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
ajkalian

How to add Wikipedia as a Search Engine

Post by ajkalian »

I'm having a problem getting Wikipedia installed as a search engine.

I did as the docs suggested and searched Wikipedia for something and then copied the URL into the Add Search Engine box.

It shows up in the Manage Search Engines screen but doesn't show up as an option to be selected in the search box. (see attached)

I tried various /s% configurations, but none made any difference.

I thought restoring the default search engines might give me some insite as to the correct configuration, but I couldn't find any way to restore the defaults.

So now, I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated.

oftentired

Re: How to add Wikipedia as a Search Engine

Post by oftentired »

I opened the Manage Search Engines interface and Removed all of the search engines that I did not want which had accumulated randomly and automatically as I surfed the internet

I closed the interface

I went to this page

https://www.wikipedia.org/

I searched randomly for something

I click the back button (not sure if that is necessary but I did it)

Then I opened the Manage Search Engines window again

In the Other search engines section was the Wikipedia search, I selected that one to be Default, this moved it up into the Default search engines section

After that you can leave it as default or go back to your original default but it will remain among the search engines choices available to you

Note, there is a limit to how many will be allowed in the Default area of the interface, you may have to delete one to get wiki up there
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Tweakerz

Re: How to add Wikipedia as a Search Engine

Post by Tweakerz »

ajkalian wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 am
I'm having a problem getting Wikipedia installed as a search engine.

I did as the docs suggested and searched Wikipedia for something and then copied the URL into the Add Search Engine box.

It shows up in the Manage Search Engines screen but doesn't show up as an option to be selected in the search box. (see attached)

I tried various /s% configurations, but none made any difference.

I thought restoring the default search engines might give me some insite as to the correct configuration, but I couldn't find any way to restore the defaults.

So now, I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated.
I hope I can be helpful so BEFORE going forward know that I use (and prefer) using Context Menu Search so I can highlight any word or phrase and right-click then search for it with any number of custom "search engines" and this works SO WELL for me. I don't care so much about the builtin options but I think this will work fine for you as well. At least I hope it works since it works for me. Doesn't hurt to give it a try.

I use without problems the following URL for Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=TESTSEARCH&go=Go

In case you want to try Context Menu Search: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ejjohldoga