Homepage * Search Engines

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
micheleyquem

Homepage * Search Engines

Post by micheleyquem »

I am beginning to have serious doubts about slimjet...

I have set "fast dial" as my home page, yet for some reason it keeps on opening https://fimanil.com/ccleaner/ instead, whenever it pleases...
This is a page that came up unasked once, when I tried to integrate ccleaner into slimjet, and decided to stick to the browser, is neither bookmarked nor otherwise stored from my side.

Which is the second major problem: Is there a reasonable description, how to add ccleaner to slimjet also? The built-in ccleaner does NOT allow to decide which cookies to keep and which to delete. Ccleaner does.

And the third major problem is the search engines. I felt quite insultet to see the "Search engines" which are offered as default.
So I wanted to replace them by:

Search Pace (as default), and Wikipedia Englisch, Wikipedia French, Wikipedia German and ImdB.

I want these, and ONLY these to appear, where duck duck gogo keeps on installing ITSELF as default, and where next to the serach engines that I want to use, there is NO BUTTON "Set as Default", which according to the helppage will make these search engines move the drop down menu....

Please can ypou help me fix these settings?
Thanks MIchel

oftentired

Re: Homepage * Search Engines

Post by oftentired »

Hello Michel,

Very confusing all this yes? I don't particularly like the confusing parts either. Very frustrating.
micheleyquem wrote:
I have set "fast dial" as my home page, yet for some reason it keeps on opening https://fimanil.com/ccleaner/ instead, whenever it pleases...
This is a page that came up unasked once, when I tried to integrate ccleaner into slimjet, and decided to stick to the browser, is neither bookmarked nor otherwise stored from my side.
There are three places to set this behaviour.

Startup (browser)
New Tab (any new tab)
Home Page Icon on the toolbar

You have to set all three if you want the behaviour to always be that fast dial is opened under every condition that you might "open". You do this in settings. Just open the Settings page and in the search window type in what you are looking for. Easier to find that way. I don't actually make use of the homepage icon as I find it just too simple to click the + sign for a new tab instead saving my toolbar real-estate for other things.

If I have not explained this with enough detail and you need further help with this bit ask.
micheleyquem wrote:Which is the second major problem: Is there a reasonable description, how to add ccleaner to slimjet also? The built-in ccleaner does NOT allow to decide which cookies to keep and which to delete. Ccleaner does.
ccleaner does not have a chrome extension that I can find. Maybe a paid version does. For additional features that are not part of the built in stuff, you need to install a chrome extension. You might try this one or similar. EditThisCookie at the Chrome Store
micheleyquem wrote:And the third major problem is the search engines. I felt quite insultet to see the "Search engines" which are offered as default.
So I wanted to replace them by:

Search Pace (as default), and Wikipedia Englisch, Wikipedia French, Wikipedia German and ImdB.

I want these, and ONLY these to appear, where duck duck gogo keeps on installing ITSELF as default, and where next to the serach engines that I want to use, there is NO BUTTON "Set as Default", which according to the helppage will make these search engines move the drop down menu....

Please can ypou help me fix these settings?
Thanks MIchel
I have not had difficulty with management of search engines. But I do believe you cannot widdle it down to just one or none before adding your preferred engine(s). I think you have to ADD the ones you want to the list before you begin deleting the ones you don't want. Try that see if it helps.

Also, take note that there are 2 sections in the Search Engine management window. And that when the list is pretty full for either or both you have to scroll down to the bottom to get to the button to Add a Search Engine.

And, the browser will acquire search engines and place them in the second "Other" section. I'm not sure why this behaviour happens, I think it has to do with current accepted standards for search engines and how the chrome browser interacts with them, perhaps chrome has chosen to remember the search parameters after one is used. Perhaps to make it faster? But, the browser should not be choosing from the ones in the lower pane, just the upper. And it should not be changing the search engine on its own. Are there any other users who perhaps do not understand that they are causing this change when their preferred search engine is used and they click a button to make it default?

Finally, I think some users have had to resort to deleting some search engines from the user profile to get rid of them. Duck Duck Go may be one of those. A bit of trickery on the part of the search engine people I think.

I've not paid close attention to the upper pane or the lower for that matter, but I think I only get new ones in the upper if I install a major upgrade or do a clean install.

These are the official instructions about search engine management
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

micheleyquem

Post by micheleyquem »

Thank you, all your explanations make sense, however all of this is not what I want to spend my time ona a computer for. I am used to to setting up things with several well designed clicks and not to adapt myself to the software instead. I will uninstall slimjet again.
My apologies for making you waste so much time trying to help, it was not my intention

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

micheleyquem wrote:Thank you, all your explanations make sense, however all of this is not what I want to spend my time ona a computer for. I am used to to setting up things with several well designed clicks and not to adapt myself to the software instead. I will uninstall slimjet again.
My apologies for making you waste so much time trying to help, it was not my intention
While I don't want to see you walk away from Slimjet, I do agree that overall there could be an easier way to set things up. A single click congruence of the different "home" settings would be a great place to start.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

micheleyquem

Post by micheleyquem »

Thank you, again I appreciate your support. But to me, someone who is using computers for about 30 years, slimjet is like this forum.
I used my bookmark to read your answer. When I wnated to reply, my log in data was not stored, and I had to go to the log in page, add it and then ... I was not even offered a choice to go back to this page, I was forwarded to the Index page.

So you see, I use my computer for all kind of of things, but not for itself. Setting up a browser is something that is necessary, but it is not part of what I want to spend one more minute than to me seems necessary of my time, on a computer for.