Move profile & bookmarks etc

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
djg14

Move profile & bookmarks etc

Post by djg14 »

Is it possible to set another drive to store the profile and bookmarks?

oftentired

Re: Move profile & bookmarks etc

Post by oftentired »

I think it is probably best to use the profile in the cloud feature by syncing to a gmail account. That said the instructions for what you ask are found here.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/21055/ch ... -directly/
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

sfcheng

Post by sfcheng »

djg14 wrote:Is it possible to set another drive to store the profile and bookmarks?
No. That option is not available.

bibarnes

Post by bibarnes »

I had a gmail account years ago and hated it. I finally closed it and it took me almost a month of back and forth with Google to finally get them to understand I wanted out. That said, I am also not a big fan of "The Cloud". If I store my information on my computer I control access totally. If my internet connection goes down I still have access. It is also more secure. Between firewalls and mal-aware detectors and encryption, I have little to worry about from hackers. I can't think of a large company that hasn't had an attack. eBay had numerous accounts compromised recently as has Google, Microsoft, almost every large bank in the world and the Government. Way back I remember folks keeping their money in a coffee jar buried in the back yard near the dog house. I thought it was silly, now not so much. I use the Amazon cloud for books. Pictures, I use my own computer. With drives getting larger and smaller at the same time I don't see much use for some nebulous entity guarding my data. Back-up off-line and use RAID. I live in a concrete and brick home that can't catch fire. Yes even the interior walls are either concrete or brick as is the roof and ceiling.

OK I feel better now.

I like Slimjet but, miss some of the ease of use we had in SB. As long as we can keep an arms length from Google I will remain content.

Just out of curiosity when was SB first introduced???? I've been using it for about 11 years.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I have installation files for Slimbrowser going back to 3.51 beta. I think I lost any earlier ones I may have had when I had a hard drive failure a few years ago. The developers would have to answer the question of exactly how old Slimbrowser is. Your better than I am at remembering "11 years". I can't tell you how long I've used Slimbrowser. But I can tell you I think Slimbrowser is and remains a top notch browser but that said it does have some web page rendering problems because it uses the Trident engine the same as IE. So, knowing Slimjet Chrome will render web pages with fewer problems, I'm easily very happy making the transition to Slimjet. So far the transition has been pretty smooth.

One negative thing is that I was never a fan of the IE implementation of the almost menu less browser but the Chromium engine I find easier to use and adjust to. Possibly this is just because I've used both IE and Google Chrome now and again and gotten a little more used to them each time.

I have only good words of praise for the Slimjet Chrome at this time. In Alpha and now Beta release it has been very nice to use. Possibly the two most important development of Slimjet that has allowed me to be pleased with Slimjet is the ability to smoothly and easily import the Groups and Quick Fill data from Slimbrowser. I make extensive use of both and would be in need of medication if I had to constantly run one browser and then the other going back and forth for the Groups and Quick Fill.

Cheers
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Nordones

Post by Nordones »

bibarnes wrote:I had a gmail account years ago and hated it. I finally closed it and it took me almost a month of back and forth with Google to finally get them to understand I wanted out. That said, I am also not a big fan of "The Cloud". If I store my information on my computer I control access totally. If my internet connection goes down I still have access. It is also more secure. Between firewalls and mal-aware detectors and encryption, I have little to worry about from hackers.
PMFJI on your conversation, but I too have my doubts about the cloud. My solution has been to avoid Google Drive and to use Box instead, but with a twist. I use Drag'nCrypt (twofish encryption) on folders with files I upload. The only thing I do in advance is give the files a generic sequence, a precaution to conceal identity of individual files. I could use other methods on the cloud, but TrueCrypt (the original) works for me on my backup USB HD, so reasonably secure IMO, both at home and in the cloud.
-N-