Google translate - play audio missing

Known issues, outstanding bugs and available workarounds
parityis

Google translate - play audio missing

Post by parityis »

Google translate has a play audio feature for users to listen to the source words and the translated words. When I visit google translate on Slimjet the audio is not available. Here is the screenprint:
slimjet-google-translate-no-audio.jpg
The audio option is available on Firefox. See Screenprint:
firefox-google-translate-has-audio1.png
////*** I used to use MS windows, then I made the switch. Now I always have hair on my head. ***////

oftentired

Re: Google translate - play audio missing

Post by oftentired »

I don't think everyone is experiencing this problem. Can you please provide information about your operating system and version?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

parityis

Post by parityis »

The issue is not exhibited on a Windows 7 starter (service pack1) netbook. It's probably not exhibited on ALL WINDOWS BASED computers. However, I use Ubuntu 15.10 (if you didn't know already from my online feedback report OR OTHERWISE). I understand, as it's clearly visible on the form, that the online feedback report collects the O/S and version, hardware configuration, slimjet configuration, and active extensions. I provided the same e-mail address for both the online feedback form and this forum post.
googletranslate_saved.jpg
////*** I used to use MS windows, then I made the switch. Now I always have hair on my head. ***////

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

This is a "user-to-user" support forum. No one on this forum except the admin, "Flashpeak", who is also the developer, has access to reports submitted using the online webpage for feedback.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

parityis

Post by parityis »

It's more of a concern if standard users have access to background details of other users, even if you don't have access to the web form data.

Anyway, are you telling us that one person called "Flashpeak" is responsible for developing all versions of SlimJet, updating it, debugging, and handling support (webpage reports)?

I read the Slimjet 'about us' page at: http://www.slimjet.com/en/aboutus.htm

apart from saying "Flashpeak Inc.", it also says "We take the pride in making software that is compact in size, fast in speed, flexible & powerful in terms of features. The range of our efforts curently includes internet browser, network tools......." (BTW..It's take pride not take the pride, also currently is spelled with two r's)

"We" and "our" means more than one person.

Now that I've told you the O/S and version, any solution/workaround?...Other than "use a Windows based Operating System".

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

parityis wrote:Anyway, are you telling us that one person called "Flashpeak" is responsible for developing all versions of SlimJet, updating it, debugging, and handling support (webpage reports)?
No, I'm saying this. Flashpeak is the forum user name for the only developer, (also the original sole developer), who participates actively on this forum. If any other developers read and post on this forum it has not been made known to me. I know from email communications that I have with Flashpeak, it is evident that there are other developers involved. But, I have the opinion that they come and go, possibly not having the same degree of commitment as the original developer, or for simpler reasons of economy and life changes.
parityis wrote:Now that I've told you the O/S and version, any solution/workaround?...Other than "use a Windows based Operating System".
Thinking about it while I type.

I don't run Linux and I do not remember anyone else with a LInux system posting on this forum with your problem. Lot's of complaints about the youtube download button being missing once in a while, but I don't remember the audio selection from the translation page being missing.

Now I'm thinking this translation page has to be interactive with the browser and capability would be dependent upon what the browser says it is able to do. I'm thinking the installation of Slimjet on your system is not telling the webpage that it is capable of audio for some reason. This lead me to think CODEX.

Perhaps there is something you can google search regarding, "Chrome Linux [your specific OS installation] Audio Codex" (applicable to chrome therefore Blink therefore Slimjet) that would lead to a solution?

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

parityis

Post by parityis »

oftentired wrote:Perhaps there is something you can google search regarding, "Chrome Linux [your specific OS installation] Audio Codex" (applicable to chrome therefore Blink therefore Slimjet) that would lead to a solution?
I've contacted your development team about this and was told it was due to a patent issue. So, I pointed to how it was solved (dissolved) in Windows:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156&start=10#p952

I was told that was specific to Windows and that the same cannot be applied to Linux.

I replied back asking if we could not use the "restricted-extras package for ubuntu".

Received a reply: "Could be done, however due to lack of resources....... ".This was on 29 March 2016.

Last week I emailed to ask when Flashpeak will have resources to incorporate the codecs to the Slimjet build for Linux. Afterall, it was quite speedily done (in 3-4 months..see link above and change log link below - mp3 support added with v.3.1.2.0 - released in Mar/Apr 2015 - if I am not mistaken) for Windows:

http://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

I am yet to hear from the development team.