Issues with Chrome Carry Over to SJ through Google Sync

Known issues, outstanding bugs and available workarounds
Nordones

Issues with Chrome Carry Over to SJ through Google Sync

Post by Nordones »

Ah, I figured it out. My mistake. I must have set up Google Chrome at some time in the past and there were leftover registry settings. RegSeeker found them and I deleted them and now I no longer see the message that Chrome has reset my settings. My settings and extensions are now as they should be. Sorry.

It seems that there is some kind of automatic reset going on in Chrome and so too SlimJet. Each and every time I exit SlimJet, I lose my extensions and some, but not all of my settings. Any ideas of why this is happening?

Tks for listening.

P.S. This is the message I get: Slimjet detected that some of your browser settings were changed by another program and reset them to their original defaults.

P.P.S. I wonder how SlimJet records it settings. As this is a portable version, I normally would expect that when you go from say your hard drive to a portable USB stick, that the settings would also transfer accurately. However, that does not seem to be the case.

So, extensions go missing when you go from one to the other. I went for the old tried and true method, deleting everything from the hard drive version and replacing it all with the version on the USB stick. On the stick, I had extensions, but on the hard drive (same exact version, copied over fresh), I had no extensions.

The thought that occured to me is that although this is a portable version of Slimjet, somewhere in the configuration files, something is not truly portable.

Perhaps there is a way to do something similar to what Total Commander does (which makes it perfect for USB sticks), which is to use absolute paths in its configuration. For Total Commander that means using INI files and absolute path statements, for example:

%COMMANDER_PATH%\SlimJet\slimjet.exe

By using this environment variable, I can run slimjet from within Total Commander on any USB drive. So at nonprofit A, my usb drive is drive e: and at nonprofit B it is drive h. Total commander recognizes whatever drive I happen to use flawlessly.

Of course, as I know nothing at all about how configuration works with SlimJet, I can't say about how it sets up its location, but trial and error so far seems to indicate that SJ does not always recognize where it is running from, hence the missing extensions from the USB stick to the hard drive.

Just saying.

Also, I made sure that Google settings were set to zero, as in nothing syncs.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: Every time I reboot I lose settings extensions

Post by flashpeak »

I can't produce the problems you mentioned. I installed the adblock plus extension on one computer. Then moved the entire folder to another computer and open up Slimjet. The adblock plus extension stayed.

Anybody else having this issue?
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

Nordones

Post by Nordones »

flashpeak wrote:I can't produce the problems you mentioned. I installed the adblock plus extension on one computer. Then moved the entire folder to another computer and open up Slimjet. The adblock plus extension stayed.

Flashpeak,

My mistake, not a problem after all. Google Chrome was installed and removed, but registry settings remained behind, so SlimJet reset to default settings. Using RegSeeker, I removed all remaining Google Chrome settings and everything is good now.

Too bad Google decided on this path, as this may make using a portable chromium version like SlimJet harder to keep settings alive.

(But then, what do I know?)
-N-

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

If you don't sync anything via your Google account, your portable version of Slimjet should be completely isolated from Chrome.

However, if you use the sync feature and mess up something in Chrome, it will affect Slimjet as well, even if it is portable version.
Nordones wrote:
flashpeak wrote:I can't produce the problems you mentioned. I installed the adblock plus extension on one computer. Then moved the entire folder to another computer and open up Slimjet. The adblock plus extension stayed.

Flashpeak,

My mistake, not a problem after all. Google Chrome was installed and removed, but registry settings remained behind, so SlimJet reset to default settings. Using RegSeeker, I removed all remaining Google Chrome settings and everything is good now.

Too bad Google decided on this path, as this may make using a portable chromium version like SlimJet harder to keep settings alive.

(But then, what do I know?)
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.