Support of NPAPI plugin

Known issues, outstanding bugs and available workarounds
spotify95

Re: Support of NPAPI plugin

Post by spotify95 »

BillLite wrote:
spotify95 wrote:Just posting to say that Chrome 45 has now been released onto the stable channel, and as a result I have now downloaded your Slimjet browser to keep compatibility with my Chrome extensions/apps/passwords etc as well as keeping NPAPI support. Lets hope that Chromium haven't deleted the NPAPI code.
We may be too late for that! If Slimjet is built on future chromium code, I fear it has already 'defecated' any reference to disabling PPAPI and Enabling NPAPI.

The most recent build of chromium I tried(last week) was FUBAR'd regarding any usage of NPAPI.
And of course PPAPI just doesn't do the job for most sites that require a GOOD working flash. THANKS GOOGLE FOR SCREWING UP OUR WEB EXPERIENCE!

Slimjet read my chromium profiles very well! All i had to do was rearrange the toolbar(s) and disable the Slimjet 'ask for password' thing and my passwords for chromium were all there.

IF I HAVE TO I WILL KEEP the 4.0.15.0 download and it's portable version on my machine in case Slimjet all of a sudden picks up chromium code that gets rid of NPAPI plugin support.
Thankfully Slimjet doesn't force people to upgrade, and can let you stay on the older versions.

I'm hoping that the devs can add the Npapi code,from the current build, into the next chromium builds so that Slimjet can maintain compatibility of NPAPI plugins as that was the main reason of going to slimjet.

sweetpeas

Post by sweetpeas »

This is also the reason why I keep Slimjet side with Chrome.
To drive to the older version of Chrome to keep these supports.
Java still need as ever.

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

sweetpeas wrote:This is also the reason why I keep Slimjet side with Chrome.
To drive to the older version of Chrome to keep these supports.
Java still need as ever.
For me it's Google Talk which is the main requirement for NPAPI - although there are some other things that I use, which won't work without NPAPI.

For example, the Amazon MP3 downloader (some CD purchases that you buy on Amazon also come with a free instant MP3 version) is NPAPI only so won't work on Chrome ver.45

My tunein radio also kept popping up something about quicktime - that is an NPAPI plugin and is required. Won't work on chrome ver45 and above

In fact quite a few things I need won't work on chrome ver 45 and above. Google will probably regret this because organizations and businesses are now uninstalling chrome in favor of firefox.

WatsonRus

Post by WatsonRus »

Do you plan to leave NPAPI support in future versions to 45+ engines?

That this may indicate 360 Extreme Explorer (45) and Cent Browser (46). NPAPI in both work fine.

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

WatsonRus wrote:Do you plan to leave NPAPI support in future versions to 45+ engines?

That this may indicate 360 Extreme Explorer (45) and Cent Browser (46). NPAPI in both work fine.
That means that if those two browsers are also Chromium based, there should be a way of getting NPAPI to work in SJ too, past ver. 45+

Chances are Google/Chrome just got rid of the NPAPI code to try and save a small amount of memory and make it run a tiny bit faster? But the performance differences would be minimal.

And for some strange reason, my university have upgraded their Chrome's to 46... I now have to use Firefox at university, since installing programs onto university computers would be difficult.

WatsonRus

Post by WatsonRus »

SlimJet Beta 6 supports NPAPI.

This means only one thing - Google has disabled NPAPI artificially in their selfish reasons. Who are the other browser developers wanted - the NPAPI enabled in the code. Who is lazy - did nothing.

Zamgiga909

Post by Zamgiga909 »

The most recent build of chromium I tried(last week) was FUBAR'd regarding any usage of NPAPI.
And of course PPAPI just doesn't do the job for most sites that require a GOOD working flash. THANKS GOOGLE FOR SCREWING UP OUR WEB EXPERIENCE!
What works in NPAPI Flash that doesn't work in the PPAPI iteration?

dev

Post by dev »

NPAPI is dead and rightly so, its a code that was introduced in netscape over 20 years ago let it be and move on.

Oh don't forget that Mozilla will phase out NPAPI support by the end of 2016, and is already disabled by the 64-bit Windows version of Firefox.

java and flash both huge security risks and you don't need them anymore in a modern browser, all you ever see on browser forums is "why is flash player not updated in your browser blah blah blah" Just disable it if your worried.
If you don't believe me read any decent tech blog about it.

WatsonRus

Post by WatsonRus »

NPAPI is not only a flash, but NPAPI-extensions without analogues and other NPAPI plug-ins.

Needless Google artificially restrict users. And Google too fond decide for others what they need.
Since Chrome 45, Google has somehow arbitrarily determined that nobody is allowed continue to use Java, Silverlight or any other ActiveX control on their turf.
Like it or not, it's another typical example of big companies forcing things down your thoat.
Or do you think that PPAPI Flash less leaky? I find it funny. :D

P.S. By the way, рeoples write that some games do not accept PPAPI flash.
dev wrote:is already disabled by the 64-bit Windows version of Firefox.
Prohibited all, outside of Flash.

Resume: You do not want/fear to use the NPAPI-plug-ins - disable them in chrome://plugins, and forbid not quite all.

http://www.slimjet.com/en/lp/java-silve ... chrome.php
And so it is necessary to solve the issue.

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

WatsonRus wrote:NPAPI is not only a flash, but NPAPI-extensions without analogues and other NPAPI plug-ins.

Needless Google artificially restrict users. And Google too fond decide for others what they need.
Since Chrome 45, Google has somehow arbitrarily determined that nobody is allowed continue to use Java, Silverlight or any other ActiveX control on their turf.
Like it or not, it's another typical example of big companies forcing things down your thoat.
Or do you think that PPAPI Flash less leaky? I find it funny. :D

P.S. By the way, рeoples write that some games do not accept PPAPI flash.
dev wrote:is already disabled by the 64-bit Windows version of Firefox.
Prohibited all, outside of Flash.

Resume: You do not want/fear to use the NPAPI-plug-ins - disable them in chrome://plugins, and forbid not quite all.

http://www.slimjet.com/en/lp/java-silve ... chrome.php
And so it is necessary to solve the issue.
NPAPI is required for quite a lot of plugins to work. For example, Google Talk relies on NPAPI, Quicktime Plugin relies on NPAPI, and of course the major ones are Java and Silverlight.

I have heard that the beta version of SJ, which is based on Chrome v46, supports NPAPI - so looks like it can be enabled. Why did Chrome disable it? Surely there could have been an option in Settings, to turn on/off NPAPI as required? Meaning that people who needs NPAPI, like myself, can use it, whereas people who don't need it can turn it off.