Is Slimjet susceptible to unwanted toolbar buttons?

Slimjet bug reports
highstream

Is Slimjet susceptible to unwanted toolbar buttons?

Post by highstream »

In the past week, I've had two unwanted buttons appear on the toolbar. The first was Word Highlight extension, discussed in other posts as having appeared immediately with the offline installer. I had to get help from bleepingcomputer.com to remove it. The second, just now, was WeatherUnderground.com, a legitimate website. I was adding their site to my Speed Dial and so opened it to make sure the zip code was correct in Slimjet. In the process, without asking my permission, it installed its button on the toolbar (screenshot) and its "hide" option didn't respond. I was finally able to get rid of it by digging around in SJ Settings to find the customize option (why isn't it a right click?).

I'm posting the issue here in Bugs because in over 20 years of internet browsing, 7 browsers currently, three Chromium based, Slimjet is the first one where this has ever happened. And note, for example, that I have WeatherUnderground in the Speed Dial of four of those browsers, all three of the Chromium based ones. Sure, some programs ask - very occasionally for buttons - but never have I seen buttons just added without permission. What is it about Slimjet that is allowing this?
WeatherUnderground button on Slimjet toolbar.JPG

dev

Re: Is Slimjet susceptible to unwanted toolbar buttons?

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:
It is a one time thing. You can remove it and it will never come back.

The Amazon button gives you quick access to the amazon website and supports our development efforts. We are doing the same thing for eBay as well. Both eBay and amazon are our sponsors. The software is free and we don't really show any annoying ads. We do rely on the referring commission to keep ends meet here.

We also automatically recommend the Facebook button and the weather button when the user visits related sites. But that has nothing to do with money. It is solely for the purpose of feature recommendation. If we don't recommend these features, most users won't even know the features exist at all. People would think we are just the same as Chrome but for these hidden features. One of the problem with Chrome is that they make a lot of features available through hidden features. But the reality is that only less than 1% of people will be able to find those features by doing their research online. We don't want to make the same mistakes. We make a useful feature and recommend it to people who will mostly likely need it.

However, we never force anything on people. All the feature recommendations happen only once. If you are not interested in it, just revert it. With Slimjet, you always have options.

Thanks for your understanding. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52&p=353&hilit=weather+button#p207

As too the digging around in options , its best to leave the small arrow (more toolbar buttons) up rather then hidden which gives a left/right click option to access the customize toolbar menu. You didn't get the weather button up in other browsers because they haven't got their own set of buttons like slimjet does , its only you that has triggered the button

highstream

Post by highstream »

Thanks for the reply. No problem with making money off eBay and Amazon clicks, although I don't use either enough to justify their presence on the toolbar vs. Speed Dial (or whatever you call it). I had forgotten about the toolbar arrow, but the problem with the weather button was that I was coming at it innocently and independently of your buttons, so it caught me by surprise in that it appeared without giving me a choice of show/hide that actually worked. The latter is a big deal in the user experience and I really don't understand saying that my actions caused the button's appearance. No way I would know that your weather button was tied to Weather Underground. It wasn't a pleasant surprise...especially after the experience with Word Highlight extension.

sweetpeas

Post by sweetpeas »

That's the same question as I ask before
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=570&p=2691#p2691

But FlashPeak developers seems to dodge my questions, even I ask them positively.
While somebody else ask the same question as I do but got the answered from them. :|
I smell the double standard & discriminated.....

highstream

Post by highstream »

Might it be more luck of free developer who happens to look at any moment? Plus, mine was posed more generically, which may have made it easier to respond to. I've made some comments/suggestions about a few things that haven't been responded to or changed/fixed too.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

sweetpeas wrote:That's the same question as I ask before

But FlashPeak developers seems to dodge my questions, even I ask them positively.
While somebody else ask the same question as I do but got the answered from them. :|
You are mistaken. I have moderated flashpeak forums for many years. Flashpeak is fair, patient, non-judgmental, and responsive. What flashpeak does not do is dance to our tune. You are not the only one who has not had a direct answer from Flashpeak after the answer has already been made on the forum. Good forum members, such as Dev, will bring the answer forward to the people who ask the question again. My only complaint is that the forum search feature has NEVER worked properly. However, with careful search terms, you can find posts using google search as they crawl this forum often with a registered bot.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

sweetpeas wrote:That's the same question as I ask before

If you've said that in jest i apologise for this in jest reply. " no one answered your post well i'm sure if users like me had noticed it we would have helped you, just get over it" :D