Tabs reload after switching back to them

Slimjet bug reports
boing687

Tabs reload after switching back to them

Post by boing687 »

In this new version of Slimjet, 7.0.1.0, every time I switch back to a tab I had previously loaded, it reloads itself again. Any way to stop this?

oftentired

Re: Tabs reload after switching back to them

Post by oftentired »

For clarification.

You mean if you have more than one tab open and you go back to a or any previous tab?

And, if so, what method are you using to switch between tabs? Mouse or keyboard?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

boing687

Post by boing687 »

Yes, if I switch to an open tab, the webpage reloads every time, like in Firefox when it crashes, then recovers and just brings up the URLs but doesn't load them until the tab is opened in the foreground. This is happening while using my laptop's trackpad and just clicking the tab to bring it into the foreground.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

does it also happen when you use the "left" pad button to click on a tab?

does it also happen if you use the keyboard and Ctrl+Tab between tabs?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

Can you not right click on the refresh button and alter the setting there ?

jollyDoDo

Post by jollyDoDo »

This feature is called "Tab Discarding" which was implemented probably in Chrome/Chromium 47 and later permanently implemented...... It Discards unselected tabs to supposedly reduce bloat but instead wastes alot of data and causes CPU to spike spontaneously everytime those said tabs are again selected just to reloadi. Hopefully SlimJet permanently kill or remove this useless, unproductive, ruins browsing, etc feature,,,,,

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

So far when I install Slimjet, by default, Slimjet has this turned off. I'm not sure why it is turned on for your system. You can turn this behaviour off.

In a new tab address bar navigate to, "slimjet://flags", and search for "enable tab discarding". Click the Text Link that says "Disable". It should toggle and become a blue text with the word, "enable".

You can also force a Tab to remain active if you right click the tab and select, "Pin Tab".

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

boing687

Post by boing687 »

@oftentired: checked "slimjet://flags"....tab discarding was already disabled...tried enabling it then disabling again...problem still persists

@dev: tried right-clicking the reload button and clicking "stop auto reload".....no dice...decided to set the auto reload interval to 63333 sec. between reloads....bingo! problem solved....at least for the 1055 min. it will take for the tabs to reload...lol

thanks for your help guys....that problem was driving me nuts!

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

oftentired wrote:In a new tab address bar navigate to, "slimjet://flags", and search for "enable tab discarding". Click the Text Link that says "Disable". It should toggle and become a blue text with the word, "enable".
In 7.0.8 for Linux x64 there is no such flag. There is

Only Auto-Reload Visible Tabs Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
Pages that fail to load while the browser is offline will only be auto-reloaded if their tab is visible.

which maybe is the same thing?

I would think squashing auto-reload of non-focused tabs would be a good thing. However automatically reloading tabs upon giving them focus is very problematic. The contents of composition windows could be lost, for instance. And this auto-reloading is exactly what is happening on SJ here.

jollyDoDo

Post by jollyDoDo »

To those who is still having this issue where tabs keeps refreshing when they are unselected then reselected, just put this command switch at Slimjets Desktop/Quick Launch shortcut at the end... "--force-fieldtrials=AutomaticTabDiscarding/Disabled" without quotation marks!