Word Highlight Extension appears on Slimjet toolbar

Slimjet bug reports
highstream

Word Highlight Extension appears on Slimjet toolbar

Post by highstream »

This is an issue I posted on the General forum, has run its course there without resolution for the moment, and so I'm going to add it here in case someone else comes across this problem. It's an unknown/unwanted extension called Word Highlight that showed up on my toolbar ("W") and in Extensions. I think it happened around the time of installing of 7.0.0.0 or 7.0.1.0, but really don't know for sure, but it's got to be recent. The thing is that it's one of those "installed by enterprise policy" extensions - "(This extension is managed and cannot be removed or disabled.)," i.e., one that can't be disabled or removed, and I've tried numerous ways.

Here's what I found pursuing the extension's code that shows in developer view - ooabkmkhabkahcjbgpiajffckeibpdoa:
- Install Slimjet and Word Highlight's code shows up in the registry and files/folders (Win 8.1 Pro x64 )
- Delete the code from the registry and files/folders (chrome-extension), and the toolbar button changes shape and turns to gray, while the extension listing remains unchanged
- Open Slimjet again and the chrome-extension files/folders return, but not in the registry

I did anti-malware scans with MBAM Pro, Comodo CIS, ESET Online scanner, AdwCleaner and HiJackThis, but they drew a blank. Hitman Pro found a lot of tracking cookies, but deleting them had no effect on Word Highlight. The latter hasn't shown up on any of my other five browsers, including two that are Chromium based (Opera 35 and Vivaldi). That raises the question whether Word Highlight is an unintended rider on the Slimjet install, or if it's something sitting on my computer that (apparently) Slimjet alone is triggering.
Last edited by oftentired on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modified Subject to reflect development within the Topic

azmarisela

Re: Word Highlight Extension appears with Slimjet install

Post by azmarisela »

Its not slimjet related. Several others are stating the same issue. Read the reviews on the extension page in the webstore. Sort by most recent. I would also report the extension as spam/malware since its unable to be removed.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... oa/reviews

highstream

Re: Word Highlight Extension appears with Slimjet install

Post by highstream »

I think Slimjet may be part of the problem. The same thing just happened with WeatherUnderground.com, adding a button to the toolbar without permission and any obvious way of removing it. Except WU is legitimate and not an extension. It seems too easy for sites to add buttons to Slimjet's toolbar. I say that because this has never happened with any other browser I've used in over 20 years of computing, including 3 Chromium-based ones.