Google Talk/Hangouts plugin not working on Slimjet

Slimjet bug reports
spotify95

Google Talk/Hangouts plugin not working on Slimjet

Post by spotify95 »

Hi,

I would like to report an issue with the Google Talk plugin when running Slimjet. This happens when the user has not upgraded to Hangouts within Gmail.

When opening the video chat icon, it tries loading the video chat (also known as a "Hangout") and comes up with an error:
Couldn't start the video call because of an error.
Please try again in a few moments.
The Google Talk/Hangouts works fine in IE11 on Windows 10, and used to work on Chrome on Windows 7 before NPAPI support was dropped.

Any ideas on fixing this would be gratefully appreciated.

oftentired

Re: Google Talk/Hangouts plugin not working on Slimjet

Post by oftentired »

In the Settings under NPAPI see if, "Enable NPAPI plugins" is checked or not, try checking it if not.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

oftentired wrote:In the Settings under NPAPI see if, "Enable NPAPI plugins" is checked or not, try checking it if not.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, NPAPI plugins should be enabled, as they are showing up on my slimjet://plugins page as being installed. The video icon also shows up, thus showing that the plugin is recognized.

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

I tried again last night and Google Talk's videochat still won't work, under both windows 10 and windows 7. On contrast, IE11 works fine (under Windows 10) and so does Firefox (Windows 7). Don't really want to run a totally separate browser just for my Gmail, so can we please have a fix for this? Thanks.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

My gmail account is already using hangout now. It'd hard for me to test it out this one for you. Why don't you use google hangout?
spotify95 wrote:Hi,

I would like to report an issue with the Google Talk plugin when running Slimjet. This happens when the user has not upgraded to Hangouts within Gmail.

When opening the video chat icon, it tries loading the video chat (also known as a "Hangout") and comes up with an error:
The Google Talk/Hangouts works fine in IE11 on Windows 10, and used to work on Chrome on Windows 7 before NPAPI support was dropped.

Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

flashpeak wrote:My gmail account is already using hangout now. It'd hard for me to test it out this one for you. Why don't you use google hangout?
spotify95 wrote:Hi,

Hi,

I tried upgrading to Hangouts when it first came out but it doesn't have the same functionality with the chat bar - currently, I have set up Google Talk so that it shows:
1) a green icon if another person is online (supported on Hangouts)
2) a green videocam icon if another person has a webcam, and is able to use video calling (not supported on Hangouts)
3) a green (or yellow for idle) robot icon for if a person is on Android (not supported on hangouts)

So by using Google Talk I know what device other people are on, which makes life a whole lot easier, because otherwise I could open up a video chat and then find out that the person I'm trying to communicate with cannot communicate via a webchat as they don't have a webcam, or vice versa...

I'll put up some screenshots for you so you can see what I mean. If Hangouts supported what I need, then I could upgrade easily.