Weird issue when upgrading versions

Slimjet bug reports
spotify95

Weird issue when upgrading versions

Post by spotify95 »

Hello,

I would like to report an issue that I experienced earlier today, when upgrading versions of SlimJet. My computer is running windows 7 x64.

I used to, and still currently, run version 4.0.15 of Slimjet, equivalent to Chrome 42. I tried upgrading today since I am getting notifiers from Google saying that my install is out of date.

Downloaded version 5.0.16 (the latest version) from the SJ website, closed SJ and upgraded from v4.0.15 to 5.0.16. I did not uninstall v4.0.15 before upgrading; however I did close the browser down. This is so that I keep my settings and recent tabs history.

When I opened up the 5.0.16 version, it came up in a weird format, it looked a bit distorted, then a message popped up saying that Slimjet had crashed. It gave me the option to re-open, but when I did, it did the same thing and kept crashing, whilst not displaying the correct view/theme.

The only cure was to uninstall the lot and re-install Slimjet 4.0.15 (this is the reason why I keep a copy of the installer in my Downloads). I am now running v4.0.15 quite happily again, with no issues.

Any help on getting the latest version working nicely will be appreciated.

P.S. The latest stable version does support NPAPI, doesn't it?

oftentired

Re: Weird issue when upgrading versions

Post by oftentired »

The stable release 5.0.17.0 supports NPAPI and so does 6.0.1.0 Stable.

You could try again with the portable install of 5.0.17.0 and see how it works out. If their are problems then no harm as it is the portable and you still have your older version to run.

You could also try the portable version of 6.0.1.0 and see if that works OK for you.

Both support NPAPI.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

Unless you are running the portable version, it should be ok for you to uninstall first and then install the new version, as long as you don't choose the option "remove data and settings" during uninstallation.

Try that and see how it works out for you.
spotify95 wrote:Hello,

I would like to report an issue that I experienced earlier today, when upgrading versions of SlimJet. My computer is running windows 7 x64.

I used to, and still currently, run version 4.0.15 of Slimjet, equivalent to Chrome 42. I tried upgrading today since I am getting notifiers from Google saying that my install is out of date.

Downloaded version 5.0.16 (the latest version) from the SJ website, closed SJ and upgraded from v4.0.15 to 5.0.16. I did not uninstall v4.0.15 before upgrading; however I did close the browser down. This is so that I keep my settings and recent tabs history.

When I opened up the 5.0.16 version, it came up in a weird format, it looked a bit distorted, then a message popped up saying that Slimjet had crashed. It gave me the option to re-open, but when I did, it did the same thing and kept crashing, whilst not displaying the correct view/theme.

The only cure was to uninstall the lot and re-install Slimjet 4.0.15 (this is the reason why I keep a copy of the installer in my Downloads). I am now running v4.0.15 quite happily again, with no issues.

Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

flashpeak wrote:Unless you are running the portable version, it should be ok for you to uninstall first and then install the new version, as long as you don't choose the option "remove data and settings" during uninstallation.

Try that and see how it works out for you.
spotify95 wrote:Hello,

oftentired wrote:The stable release 5.0.17.0 supports NPAPI and so does 6.0.1.0 beta.

You could try again with the portable install of 5.0.17.0 and see how it works out. If their are problems then no harm as it is the portable and you still have your older version to run.

You could also try the portable version of 6.0.1.0 and see if that works OK for you.

Both support NPAPI.
Hi there, thank you for the information and help there!

I'll try again a bit later on, by uninstalling version 4.0.15 and then installing the latest standalone of Slimjet. The trouble may have been because I downloaded the wrong version; rather than choosing the actual installer, it chose the web version that you have to download and install over the top.

I won't be clearing all of my data out, so thank you for that! In that case it seems safe enough for me to uninstall without losing all of my data (it came up with the option to clear my settings, which I declined).

And thank goodness that 5.0.17, as well as the 6.0.x beta, supports NPAPI! I cannot get rid of Google Talk yet because Hangouts isn't any better - plus the Amazon MP3 downloader (among other things) is NPAPI only. Heard that the beta is using Chromium 46 so I wonder how Chrome dropped the support? Couldn't they have left in NPAPI support for people who needed it, and just had it as an option?

Once again thanks for your help; I shall update this when I have tried reinstalling the latest stable version of SJ :)

Edit: since SJ is confirmed to be using NPAPI for the foreseeable future, I can turn on the auto update, Thanks!