[Resolved] 5.0.9 still crashes Linux

Slimjet bug reports
paul1149

[Resolved] 5.0.9 still crashes Linux

Post by paul1149 »

5.0.9 is the third 5 series version I've tried on my Linux system. It is the third one that hasn't worked.

I'm on LinuxLite x64, a ubuntu derivative. I install the new version. I open it. It seems fine for a minute or two, then it brings down the whole system with a GPU lock up. The quick way down has been to go to Settings. This time, I could go to Settings for a moment, but the More Tools menu came up totally black.

The other two times I installed over. This time I uninstalled 4.15. No difference.

I went to the web site a couple of weeks ago and managed to have a live chat with Stephen there. After me trying a couple more things which didn't work he promised to try LinuxLite in a virtual machine. Doesn't seem to have helped.

For some reason that completely escapes me, Admin thinks a volatile chat session is a better means of support than a persistent forum thread. One on one, when you happen to catch the developer, is better than a convo that everyone can see, contribute to and benefit from for an indefinite period of time, and that doesn't require meeting together at the same time. I am in wholehearted disagreement.

The best browser deserves far better support than this. I am not sympathetic to those who continually whine here about such things as toolbar layout, though I may agree with them in substance. But when you have a catastrophic problem, lack of support is the best way to chase away a user base that wants to be loyal.

4.15 is getting long in the tooth. My extensions are beginning to complain. Gmail is beginning to complain. I can't continue like this much longer. And I am not going to jettison Linux in order to keep using Slimjet.

And now I hear that some users on Windows are experiencing the same or a similar problem. I have deployed Slimjet on hundreds of Windows machines, but I am afraid to upgrade to version 5. I am in a holding pattern there too, and I dread what may happen when the buyer upgrades the browser and trashes the system. Guess who's going to get the complaint?

If something is not done soon to make Slimjet work I will be forced into other pastures.
Last edited by paul1149 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

paul1149

Re: 5.0.9 still crashes Linux

Post by paul1149 »

I think I found my answer thanks to a very helpful soul over at the LL forums. I simply turned off hardware acceleration. I should have thought of that myself. So far I've not had any further system crashes.

I still have browser crashes when uploading pics to ebay, however. But that seems to be a separate issue.

My comments about communication and support still stand. I understand there is more two-way on the facebook page. That's nice, but I do not do facebook.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: 5.0.9 still crashes Linux

Post by flashpeak »

Thanks for sharing the solution. Unfortunately, due to the number of different distributions of Linux available and the size of the team we have here, we can't provide a lot of support for linux version of Slimjet beyond ubuntu.
paul1149 wrote:I think I found my answer thanks to a very helpful soul over at the LL forums. I simply turned off hardware acceleration. I should have thought of that myself. So far I've not had any further system crashes.

I still have browser crashes when uploading pics to ebay, however. But that seems to be a separate issue.

My comments about communication and support still stand. I understand there is more two-way on the facebook page. That's nice, but I do not do facebook.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.