[Resolved] v5.0.1 removed! Java access problems

Slimjet bug reports
minsikau

[Resolved] v5.0.1 removed! Java access problems

Post by minsikau »

Seems like steps forward for Slimjet but for some of us the way forward creates problems.

Looks like 4.0.15 may be the last program version I can use due to the massive clamping down of java applications in the browser.
I tried v 5.0.1 as I said but it quickly became evident that java restrictions were a pain. Allowing all popups (and restarting in Slimjet) did not fix anything and each site I went to the popup was blocked. Each separate site I had to click allow popups. Its really not a popup as such, just the java running in the browser window.

These sites are all on our internal network 10.0.0.0/8 but so far there is no way to whitelist the whole subnet as far as i can see.
We have hundreds of hardware devices running java as the main access method and so limiting access it just a pure pain.

4.0.15 had been very good in this regard but I understand Chrome like a lots of browsers are under pressure to tighten up access for security reasons.

Is there anyway to allow a whole subnet as safe or disable this feature completely?

Thanks to the developers for progress and their hard works.

PS removing 5.01 and then reinstalling 4.015 also pure hell. I had to uninstall and make sure all data was deleted too yto get 4.015 back woring in the computer. lucky with lastpass and xmarks thats easily done.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: v5.0.1 tried today and removed! Java access problems

Post by flashpeak »

I can't test your intranet sites. But I am using Slimjet 5.0.3 to test this page with a little java game: http://www.pogo.com/games/hearts?pageSe ... earts#game . I got a notification saying that plugin is blocked. Then I select "Allow plugin on this site" from the little notification popup on the address bar. Then I have to a manual reload on the page. After that, the java game loads normally.

If you want to test Slimjet 5.0.3, you can download the portable version so that you can have it in parallel with the 4.15 version without interfering with each other.
minsikau wrote:Seems like steps forward for Slimjet but for some of us the way forward creates problems.

Looks like 4.0.15 may be the last program version I can use due to the massive clamping down of java applications in the browser.
I tried v 5.0.1 as I said but it quickly became evident that java restrictions were a pain. Allowing all popups (and restarting in Slimjet) did not fix anything and each site I went to the popup was blocked. Each separate site I had to click allow popups. Its really not a popup as such, just the java running in the browser window.

These sites are all on our internal network 10.0.0.0/8 but so far there is no way to whitelist the whole subnet as far as i can see.
We have hundreds of hardware devices running java as the main access method and so limiting access it just a pure pain.

4.0.15 had been very good in this regard but I understand Chrome like a lots of browsers are under pressure to tighten up access for security reasons.

Is there anyway to allow a whole subnet as safe or disable this feature completely?

Thanks to the developers for progress and their hard works.

PS removing 5.01 and then reinstalling 4.015 also pure hell. I had to uninstall and make sure all data was deleted too yto get 4.015 back woring in the computer. lucky with lastpass and xmarks thats easily done.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

minsikau

Post by minsikau »

Thanks for the ideas. I can give the portable version a try out. Good idea, appreciated the effort and work.

Minsik

minsikau

Post by minsikau »

It appears for anyone using the ultimate in software ( as it has been sold over many years working in IP appliances etc) that it has reached then end of the line with both chromium and firefox moving to a java free society and damm all those who must use it! IN the portable slimjet its the same with java not being available npapi just not available anymore.

So the only action is to maintain loaded an earlier smiljet version before 5.

thanks for the attempts at help but it has been widely promoted that this day was coming. I just thought the clever slimjet peoples would be able to have a work around but if chromium does not allow it then thats that.

Pity the majority of my working world has been built with java web interfaces and ther eis no way to bypass that.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Try using the IE TAB extension which emulates Internet Explorer within Chrome and allows use of Silverlight and Java. I think this extension will only work on Win OS computers.

minsikau

Post by minsikau »

Thanks for the suggestion that might be very usefull. I wonder if it will allow the auto filtering of IP address ranges. ie 10.0.0.0/8 for example?

I will look into that possibility.
I appreciate the idea.