slimjet 36.0.2.0 linux version youtube videos not loading

Slimjet bug reports
Sandgroper

Re: slimjet 36.0.2.0 linux version youtube videos not loading

Post by Sandgroper »

James Quadrat wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 am

If you are experiencing video playback problems with many other sites, it is likely that you don't have the correct libffmpeg decoder library installed.
I am aware of that requirement and have tried the latest two versions, without success. I always install the latest version of libffmpeg.so

James Quadrat

Post by James Quadrat »

Apologies - I misunderstood your post.

I am experiencing problems only with youtube. All of the other video sites I have tried appear to work.

flobou5783

Post by flobou5783 »

Same issue here: some videos don't play anymore since my recent upgrade to slimjet 36, with my older libffmpeg.so version 0.60.0.
I tried to replace/upgrade libffmpeg.so as usual (I've been using slimjet on Ubuntu-based distros for many years), and now neither 0.66.0 nor 0.67.1 nor 0.68.1 work (no youtube video play at all with these versions).

With my older libffmpeg.so version (0.60.0), here are examples of video playability:
  • Sharepoint videos NOT playing anymore (cannot share link, it's from private corporate videos)
Any idea? Maybe someone found a libffmpeg.so version between 0.60.0 and 0.66.0 that works fine with slimjet 36?
Last edited by flobou5783 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

flobou5783

Post by flobou5783 »

Actually I just tested all versions from 0.60.0 to the latest 0.68.1 and they all have issues in slimjet 36.
My "half-working" former version does not seem to be the exact 0.60.0 that I can re-download today; looks like the current 0.60.0 version has more commits than the one I have...
Anyway, there's an issue in slimjet 36 and it needs to be fixed; now, will it be fixed with a newer libffmpeg.so version (when?) or in a newer slimjet version (when?).

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I don't run Linux so this isn't an issue with me.

However, I remember someone in a previous post, I don't remember how far back in time, suggesting one way to grab a working libffmpeg is to install the most recent Google Chrome and borrow it from that installation.

Has anyone tried that yet?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

flobou5783

Post by flobou5783 »

I'm trying, but I cannot find libffmpeg.so in Google Chrome's installation package.
Maybe it's hiddent within a .pak file but it looks like it's "Apple DiskCopy" file type and I don't know how to open this right now.
Any help?

Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

I have installed the Brave web browser and am in the process of adding my extensions. I even found one for downloading videos.

Everything is working perfectly, so I will most likely uninstall Slimjet on all my machines.

flobou5783

Post by flobou5783 »

Hmmm interesting, I'd love your feedback after a few days or weeks.
Brave definitely seems to have improved, but I wonder if it's now as fast, lightweight, secure and disturbance-free as Slimjet.

Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

Everything is working fine and there is no need to bother with libffmpeg.so

There are a lot of security options built-in, including ad blocking.

The video downloader extension can be found at https://addoncrop.com/v2/youtube-downloader/
Just choose "Other Browsers". It is a two-step installation. The first run installs Foxified. The second run installs the downloader.

James Quadrat

Post by James Quadrat »

Interesting and helpful comments about Brave.

TBH,I think I'm done with Slimjet on linux.