Schizophrenic Download and “Show in folder” behavior Slimjet Ver 35.0.1.0

Slimjet bug reports
belatedbespeckled

Schizophrenic Download and “Show in folder” behavior Slimjet Ver 35.0.1.0

Post by belatedbespeckled »

I have been using Slimjet for years. I have used Download and “Show in folder” feature of Slimjet trouble free. I downloaded a .pdf flyer from a local store web page. I do this every week. In Slimjet I click “Show in folder” and it appears to download the .pdf flyer again. Slimjet does not open the folder it downloaded to. “Show in folder” is shown for every click. I clicked “Show in folder” and “Show in folder” is in the bottom bar four times as if four different files were downloaded. When I manually open the download folder the file only appears once. Perhaps clicking “Show in folder” downloads and replaces the file. I do not know. In the past clicking “Show in folder” in Slimjet after any download always opened the folder window with the downloaded file highlighted.

I have always set in Win10pro the Windows Media Player as the default player to open .mp3 audio files. In Slimjet I downloaded an .mp3 audio file of a very old news segment to listen to. I click “Show in folder” as I always do for any download. Slimjet does not open the folder it downloaded to. Clicking “Show in folder” opened the .mp3 audio file in IrfanView image viewer and started playing the .mp3 audio file. Very strange. I had no idea that IrfanView played .mp3 audio files till that moment. I have installed IrfanView for use in viewing my historical art images. I have IrfanView set as my default image viewer in Win10pro. I have no idea that would affect Slimjet. IrfanView did not affect previous versions of Slimjet. I have no idea how IrfanView is associated with Slimjet. I certainly did not do it. I have not associated IrfanView with any other browser nor know how I would do such a thing.

For this .mp3 audio file I then tried clicking “Always open files of this type”. I have never done that before. I wanted to see what would happen. I always open downloaded files in the folder the file is downloaded to, always! Clicking “Always open files of this type” opened the .mp3 audio file in Potplayer and played it in Potplayer. Once again, I have no idea how Potplayer is associated with Slimjet. Potplayer is not set as the default player for ANY file. When I installed Potplayer it asks to associate a number of file types with it or keep current defaults. I always keep current defaults. Potplayer is not associated with anything. I always use Windows Media Player first. Then I will open a file in Potplayer if Windows Media Player cannot play it.

Before this latest Slimjet update, I had Slimjet, IrfanView and Potplayer installed on my computer for years without any of these problems. There has not been any changes to IrfanView and Potplayer. How does Slimjet even know IrfanView and Potplayer even exist on my computer? This is very strange behavior for Slimjet.

Before I posted I searched “Show in folder” in the slimjet.com/en/forum. It rejected the search because those words were too common. The rules state I am to do this before posting. I gave it my best try.

I tried to add the links to local store, news segment, IrfanView, Potplayer so anyone can try to recreate this behavior. It rejected this. “No external links allowed for recently registered users.”. I gave it my best try. According to my profile I Joined:Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:33 pm. It seems strange that I continue to be considered a recently registered user after all this time.

Slimjet Version 35.0.1.0 (based on Chromium 101.0.4951.34) (Official Build) (64-bit)
I currently run i7-4770 Haswell midtower, 15GB memory, ASUS Z87-A Motherboard, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB video card, Windows 10 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 19044.1766 Windows firewall. I use my computer in a normal user account not an administrator account. I vigilantly keep everything updated. Or at least every three days I check EVERYTHING for updates.
Last edited by oftentired on Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 60 day sticky, please do not Edit your original post during the sticky period

oftentired

Re: Schizophrenic Download and “Show in folder” behavior Slimjet Ver 35.0.1.0

Post by oftentired »

belatedbespeckled wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:39 pm
In Slimjet I click “Show in folder” and it appears to download the .pdf flyer again. Slimjet does not open the folder it downloaded to. “Show in folder” is shown for every click. I clicked “Show in folder” and “Show in folder” is in the bottom bar four times as if four different files were downloaded.
I duplicated this bug. It appears to only happen when downloading PDFs, although I did not try a lot of different file types.

Also, I attempted a work-a-round by going into Settings and toggling on the feature to have Slimjet ask me every time where I want to download to. After selecting the Download folder and a successful download, when clicking "Show in folder" from the Download bar at the bottom it opened the dialog window again for selecting a location to download to. However, it is still possible to interact with that dialog window as if it is a normal explorer window so it would work as a work-a-round until the issue is resolved.
belatedbespeckled wrote:
I have always set in Win10pro the Windows Media Player as the default player to open .mp3 audio files. In Slimjet I downloaded an .mp3 audio file of a very old news segment to listen to. I click “Show in folder” as I always do for any download. Slimjet does not open the folder it downloaded to. Clicking “Show in folder” opened the .mp3 audio file in IrfanView image viewer and started playing the .mp3 audio file. Very strange. I had no idea that IrfanView played .mp3 audio files till that moment. I have installed IrfanView for use in viewing my historical art images. I have IrfanView set as my default image viewer in Win10pro. I have no idea that would affect Slimjet. IrfanView did not affect previous versions of Slimjet. I have no idea how IrfanView is associated with Slimjet. I certainly did not do it. I have not associated IrfanView with any other browser nor know how I would do such a thing.

For this .mp3 audio file I then tried clicking “Always open files of this type”. I have never done that before. I wanted to see what would happen. I always open downloaded files in the folder the file is downloaded to, always! Clicking “Always open files of this type” opened the .mp3 audio file in Potplayer and played it in Potplayer. Once again, I have no idea how Potplayer is associated with Slimjet. Potplayer is not set as the default player for ANY file. When I installed Potplayer it asks to associate a number of file types with it or keep current defaults. I always keep current defaults. Potplayer is not associated with anything. I always use Windows Media Player first. Then I will open a file in Potplayer if Windows Media Player cannot play it.

Before this latest Slimjet update, I had Slimjet, IrfanView and Potplayer installed on my computer for years without any of these problems. There has not been any changes to IrfanView and Potplayer. How does Slimjet even know IrfanView and Potplayer even exist on my computer? This is very strange behavior for Slimjet.
I did not mess around with any testing on this issue. From your description, it does appear to be from the same root cause as the first issue.
belatedbespeckled wrote:
Before I posted I searched “Show in folder” in the slimjet.com/en/forum. It rejected the search because those words were too common. The rules state I am to do this before posting. I gave it my best try.
phpBB forum search is one of the worst in existence. It is better to use the built-in Slimjet feature to search the current website. This is easily done via a button you can have on the toolbar. Using that button generates an exclusive search of the current website using the existing google information for the website. Since many websites, including this forum, allow the google bot to catalogue the site contents this typically produces some decent results.
belatedbespeckled wrote:
I tried to add the links to local store, news segment, IrfanView, Potplayer so anyone can try to recreate this behavior. It rejected this. “No external links allowed for recently registered users.”. I gave it my best try. According to my profile I Joined:Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:33 pm. It seems strange that I continue to be considered a recently registered user after all this time.
Due to amount of spam posts the admin put some very restrictive rules in place. One side effect is that everyone is frozen in time, this allows the restrictions to function properly. You should be able to post a link after your fifth forum post.

Also, this has every appearance of being a true bug so I'm moving this to the Bug forum.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I have a work-a-round for you.

After you perform a PDF download. Go to the right side of the download status/task bar and click the Show all link which will open the download dialog in a new tab, from that tab you can click the Show in folder link and open the download folder. It is still two clicks, just not the same two to get to the same place.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Contajen

Post by Contajen »

I am having this issue as well with Version 35.0.1.0. I just got around to updating to the latest version last night. Now when I download files and click the Show in Folder option it opens whatever program it wants to. I downloaded an .exe file and it opened VLC media player. I downloaded a jpg and when I click Show in folder it opens paint.net that is installed on my pc. Not interested in work arounds for the problem so will probably go back to the previous version until this is fixed. This is not happening in any other browsers.

CrockPot

Post by CrockPot »

Also to add to the issue here,every RAR file that i downloaded so far,when choose Show in Folder it somehow it showing the compressed files inside,instead of just opens the location of the RAR file. I hope all those issues will reach the developer soon and get fixed.

ukkevinf

Post by ukkevinf »

I'm getting this, too. Choose 'show in folder' and it opens the file instead using a seemingly arbitrary program. Actually pretty annoying ...