Problem downloading from SnapFiles.com

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
sleveoSlim

Problem downloading from SnapFiles.com

Post by sleveoSlim »

SlimJet v30.0.4.0 BUG: Download link fails to work on Snapfiles

RE: The file IsMyLcdOK on Snapfiles .com It is a tiny 44k download to test your LCD screen from a reputable developer and reputable download site.

When I click on the Download button, it takes me to a download page, with two links, one for 32-bit and one for 64 bit.
When I click on the download link for this or any file from Snapfiles . com it does NOTHING. No message, no download.
WORKAROUND: I can Right Click on the link to select "Save Link As" and get the download that way.
I've used SlimJet for years, and never before noticed this problem. So it may be new in SlimJet v30.x.

I've restarted SlimJet, rebooted the PC and nothing seems to help the download at Snapfiles.
When I try to click on the download link for that file IsMyLcdOK at majorgeeks.com it works fine to download. So it may be some combination of Slimjet on Snapfiles.
When I click on the same link at Snapfiles in Firefox, it works fine.

https://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/ism ... lcdok.html
Using latest build, currently Running 32 bit SlimJet v31.0.2.0 on Win 7 Home on Intel i3 with 8 gb RAM.

CrockPot

Re: Problem downloading from SnapFiles.com

Post by CrockPot »

@sleveoSlim navigate to

Code: Select all

chrome://settings/content/automaticDownloads
Next to Allow click on the Add button
and type

Code: Select all

[*.]snapfiles.com
Save and you can download as many files as you want :D

sleveoSlim

Post by sleveoSlim »

@crockPot

Thanks for trying. Your suggestion did not work. I did notice the when I hover over the link, it shows the authors site to download from, not from SnapFiles. But to be sure I tried your suggestion. No help.

Also fails to download from another author on Snapfiles. Like this one.
https://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/sou ... eview.html
Again, the only way to get it to download is to Right Click / Save Link As ...
Again, no problem on other sites.
When I navigate to the authors site, I can download from there just fine. It's only when I try to download from SnapFiles and click on the same Download link as the authors site that it fails.
Using latest build, currently Running 32 bit SlimJet v31.0.2.0 on Win 7 Home on Intel i3 with 8 gb RAM.

CrockPot

Post by CrockPot »

That's weird for sure. On my end i couldn't download from neither link provided until i allowed the domain.After that everything was fine.
I'm honestly out of ideas on this one.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

When time permits, try it with version 30.0.5.0
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

CrockPot

Post by CrockPot »

Ok @sleveoSlim i found out why. I just updated to the latest version and started having the same dumb problems.
I guess the previous version was so glitched that such a things(it's a security related...of course :?) weren't working properly.
So,first read this,to find out why is it happening: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/10/08/chrom ... re-is-why/
Then (i don't even have to tell you to be very carefull what you downloading from this point on) go to: chrome://flags/
and on the search type: Treat risky downloads over insecure connections as active mixed content
disable it,restart and that should do it...pffff...i hope.
At least that's what fixed it on my end for sure.
Post some feedback,so i know i didn't waste my time writing this ;)

sleveoSlim

Post by sleveoSlim »

@crockPot SOLVED I stand in awe and admiration of your research abilities.
I upgraded to the latest SlimJet and had same problem.
I read the post on gHacks you suggested. Great find.
Main Problem:
Google announced in early 2020 that it will block content that is served via the insecure HTTP if the originating page uses HTTPS.
Right now, the easiest option available is to right-click on the download link and select "save link as". The download is executed when you do that. ... Note that some download links, e.g. those powered by JavaScript, won't work with the right-click bypass. ... and it is possible that Google is blocking downloads via right-clicks as well in the future. Alt: try a Download Manager.
I went to: chrome://flags/ Treat risky downloads over insecure connections as active mixed content: Disabled
And just like you, it now works great on my system.
Thank you so much. I feel better understanding the problem.
I also tried to use the Developer Tools to see the RED Error " "Mixed Content" warning for downloads that it blocks. "
BUT I never saw that message. So it now seems to be invisible ERROR. That Stinks, google.
One remaining Question.

Q: Please, if you can recall, what search terms did you Search online to find that great post at gHacks?

CrockPot

Post by CrockPot »

@sleveoSlim i'm glad that your problem is solved. I know how frustrating the whole thing can be,especially when there is no indication what's happening.
And to answer your question,i used part of the error from the console log(as you probably already figured it out) to search initially,
which lead me to gHacks,which didn't help much cause they just informed everyone,without providing any solution.
Some of the comments on the bottom mentioned chrome://settings/content/insecureContent which was dead end cause no options are present there. So i end up figuring it out on my own apparently.
I only posted the article here so you know what's up and not just blindly disable things on your end.
Again,glad i was able to help. Cheers.