Slimjet portable is NOT portable

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
nima_amin

Slimjet portable is NOT portable

Post by nima_amin »

For the first time I tried to move Slimjet portable between two computers. From the Windows 7 PC on which I so far used it to a new Windows 10 PC. I copied my portable "installation" from PC 1 on a external harddrive, and copied it from the external drive to PC 2. All addons, cookies, the design for "new tab" were gone. Only the bookmarks remained where they were. This problem comes on all three user profiles. Aren't portable devices supposed to exactly keep these things, so you can work with your settings from everywhere? Just connect and go? Palemoon portable for exampe took everything with it, it even kept me logged in to the websites where I wish to stay logged in! Please try to repair that issue, I am sure, it's not meant to be so.

cra3ycra3y

Re: Slimjet portable is NOT portable

Post by cra3ycra3y »

Slimjet needs patches to use these flags to obtain true portability:

Code: Select all

--disable-machine-id
--disable-encryption-win
--disable-encryption
Regards
Chris

goodtoimes

Post by goodtoimes »

What do we do with these flags to make it Portable?

Shouldn't these be enabled by default on Portable?

CarefulCat

Post by CarefulCat »

I have the same problem...
Ive tried out Slimjet on my other Notebook and was very pleased about the features...

So I wanted to have it on my Desktop and my 2nd Notebook too...

...and went into the same problems as the threadstarter wrote...
Slimjet needs patches to use these flags to obtain true portability:
CODE: SELECT ALL

--disable-machine-id
--disable-encryption-win
--disable-encryption
Ive tried this with: slimjet.exe --disable-machine-id --disable-encryption-win --disable-encryption
Without success...
So these switches tell me, Slimjet is using encryption and is coupled on the machine ID??
I wonder, how it is called then "Portable" and Im totally with the threadstartet, that this behavior is NOT portable-like!

Im using portables since more than 10 years and all other P O R T A B L E browser like Firefox, Chromium, Avant, Maxthon, Seamonkey, Opera, Falkon, Pale Moon, Waterfox, Vivaldi, Cent Browser, Brave (Yes, for my Blog im testing many Browser!) aso use the User Data as copied, so why not Slimjet?

If its coupled on the Computer ID, why it is not optional?

I hope on of the Devs will get me an answer, so I dont have to change my Blog entry for portables, where i wrote about the promising Slimjet...