No sound ONLY when SJ is used in Sandboxie

Slimjet bug reports
Gary__M.

No sound ONLY when SJ is used in Sandboxie

Post by Gary__M. »

Recently updated my SJ to v24.0.6.0 (32 bit)
At the same time, updated my Sandboxie.exe to v5.31.6 (64 bit)
Both are the current stable releases of each program.
Both on a Windows 7 Pro machine.

Videos play correctly with sound when using SJ alone (i.e., not inside Sandboxie).
Videos play but no sound when SJ is inside Sandboxie.
Videos play correctly with sound when using Internet Explorer 11 32bit and Sandboxie 64bit.

Tried, but no success: clearing all cookies, etc., and disabling all Chrome extensions.

Had no problems with using both SJ and Sandboxie together under previous versions (SJ v21.0.8.0 32bit and Sandboxie v5.28 64bit).

Since Sandboxie works fine with a non-Chrome browser (IE 11), this appears to be an incompatibility with SJ v24 and SB v5.31, which is why I'm posting this in the Bug Reports subforum.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Windows 7 Pro (64bit), SJ Version 38.0.7.0 (32bit)

oftentired

Re: No sound ONLY when SJ is used in Sandboxie

Post by oftentired »

go to the download page on the SJ website and grab the current Beta release. This will provide a more recent Chromium engine. See if that helps. Also, there are previous posts on the forum regarding Sandboxie. Use the search from the SJ toolbar instead of inside the forum to track them down.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Gary__M.

Post by Gary__M. »

I'm too nervous about Beta releases to risk messing up my non-Sandboxed current INSTALLED VERSION of SJ. But, I went ahead and downloaded the SJ Beta of the PORTABLE distribution (it's in a zipped file). When I tried to unzip it, it wanted to overwrite my existing PORTABLE SJ copy, and I didn't want to do that.

Do you know of any way to force an unzipped separate instance of Portable SJ on the same machine as an existing Portable instance?

BTW, I already tried my current PORTABLE SJ v24.0.6.0 within Sandboxie, but that, too, didn't solve the problem of no sound in playing videos.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

rename your current working Slimjet portable folder and see if the portable install ignores it after that. Change your shortcut so it points to the newly named folder.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Gary__M.

Post by Gary__M. »

oftentired, your suggestions for renaming my existing SJ portable files worked perfectly. The new Beta SJ portable unzipped and opened separately, and didn't ask to overwrite my existing SJ portable. Thanks!

I'm even happier to report that the Beta SJ v25.0.1.0 plays nice with Sandboxie v5.31.6 (so far, fingers crossed), and my "no sound with video" issue is resolved. I'll still wait to upgrade my "installed" version of SJ until an Alpha version of SJ v25 is released, but at least I have a workaround now, using the SJ Beta portable version.