Print or PDF images often are messed up

Slimjet bug reports
scott092707

Print or PDF images often are messed up

Post by scott092707 »

A fair amount of the time, something is messed up when I wish to print a web page, whether to my printer, or (much more likely) create a PDF file of the page.
Often, a long web page will show up as only 1 page in the preview. I then have to screen-shot (ScreenGrab package) multiple times, to get the whole page.

Other times, everything is there, but doesn't look much like the original.

Some pages have info that is wrongly sized, and/or is superimposed on other info.

I will attach an original .html file, 2 ScreenGrab screenshots of what it looked like onscreen, and the garbled .pdf file produced by Print/SaveAsPdf.

Code: Select all

scott@ASUS-PRIME-B350M-A-CSM:~$ uname -a
Linux ASUS-PRIME-B350M-A-CSM 4.19.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.16-1 (2019-01-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux
scott@ASUS-PRIME-B350M-A-CSM:~$ lsb_release -dsc
Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
bullseye
scott@ASUS-PRIME-B350M-A-CSM:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
/usr/share/xsessions/lxqt

scott@ASUS-PRIME-B350M-A-CSM:~$ apt-cache policy slimjet
slimjet:
  Installed: 24.0.6.0
  Candidate: 24.0.6.0
  Version table:
 *** 24.0.6.0 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
[Hmmm... I don't find an attach or upload option... Well, I can ScreenGrab my .pdf file being displayed, I guess. I would think you'd want the .html as well, but I don't suppose you want me to CODE: 4406 lines of HTML code...]

[img]file:///data/scott/Documents/ComputerRelated/SlimJet_ScreenGrab.jpg[/img]
[img]file:///data/scott/Documents/ComputerRelated/SlimJet_ScreenGrab2.jpg[/img]

...it doesn't look like including images works, and also looks like it limits this to two "images". I'll try to add more in another Comment...
Last edited by scott092707 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott092707

Re: Print or PDF images often are messed up

Post by scott092707 »

[img]file:///data/scott/Documents/ComputerRelated/SlimJet_PDF_ScreenGrab1.jpg[/img]
[img]file:///data/scott/Documents/ComputerRelated/SlimJet_PDF_ScreenGrab2.jpg[/img]
[img]file:///data/scott/Documents/ComputerRelated/SlimJet_PDF_ScreenGrab3.jpg[/img]

If anyone knows how I can include actual images and files here, let me know.

Otherwise, just telling you that "SlimJet makes things look really screwey" is not going to be very helpful, and won't get this bug fixed.

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

Your images are not linked to an online host so we cannot view them, you have the proper IMG tags but cannot host them locally on your own PC and have us view them.

That said, you might try using an extension (free) as I found it can work better than the builtin offering. I have problems with the one in SlimJet sadly so that's been my solution. (Oddly nothing else is "broken" but screenshot capturing within the browser.

No clue which is the "best" but I've been really happy with this one for a long time. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fceg?hl=en

scott092707

Post by scott092707 »

I will probably give the extension a try...

But meanwhile, regarding this bug...

Is there SOME way to get a screenshot/picture into this forum so that people can see what I am attempting to report?

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

scott092707 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 pm
I will probably give the extension a try...

But meanwhile, regarding this bug...

Is there SOME way to get a screenshot/picture into this forum so that people can see what I am attempting to report?
The extension works great every time, simple to use too so due to my own screenshot issues it is how I've had to go about things for many SlimJet versions. It's been a long time now, like 5 updates/versions I haven't been able to use the builtin offering.

As for screenshots here on the forum, you can take a screenshot and upload it to an online host then copy that URL and insert it here using the "Insert Image" option (it's a button when typing you will see above the text field here on the forum). If you just need a simple screenshot as an example just hit the PrtSc button on your keyboard and then open Paint or whatever simple image editor you have and hit Paste, save that file and upload to whatever online host you use. Or just use the extension ;)
Imgur is what I've used since TinyPic stopped hosting images earlier this year.

Basically take the URL and add the proper tags before and after and we'll then be able to view it. The other option would be making a video example and posting it on YouTube or some other video hosting platform.

As shown below but I had to add spaces you'll need to remove, if I left them it would think I was trying to add an image and you couldn't see the code.
[ img ]enter the URL to image here with .jpg, .png, whatever the extension of course[ / img ]

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

These guys will host pics anonymously:

https://imgur.com/upload

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/suueNNm.png[/img]

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

^^^ Imgur is what I use since TinyPic stopped working, thanks for the code info done better. 8-)

scott092707

Post by scott092707 »

Last edited by scott092707 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

scott092707 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:32 pm

To clarify.

This the page preview just prior to telling it to print to PDF? And are you using the OS print capability or the one built into Slimjet?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

scott092707

Post by scott092707 »

Are you seeing images, or (like me) just a generic thumbnail and the word "Image"?

I tried to do URL also, but no picture (but presumably people can just click on the URL...)