Bookmarks Bar Not Showing

Slimjet bug reports
bosca990

Bookmarks Bar Not Showing

Post by bosca990 »

Following the latest update the bookmarks bar, previously "always visible on side", now doesn't show. Nor on "auto hide on side". It does show if set to "... on top".

oftentired

Re: Bookmarks Bar Not Showing

Post by oftentired »

You should be running Version 20.0.4.0; the problem was corrected with Version 20.0.4.0.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

bosca990

Post by bosca990 »

That is the version I am running!

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

bosca990 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:58 pm
That is the version I am running!
That information would have been helpful in your first post. Also provide the Operating System your running. On my system I cannot reproduce the problem your having. Previous version, yes was a problem.

Please refer to this post about posting
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

bosca990

Post by bosca990 »

Original post said ... "following latest update" (as in the latest version).

Anyway ... running 32bit version on Windows 7 (x64).

belltimes

Post by belltimes »

Running Version 20.0.4.0 (based on Chromium 68.0.3440.75) (Official Build) (32-bit) on Windows 10.

I'd installed Slimjet a few weeks ago, mostly for the "Bookmarks bar on side" feature, and had been using it as my main browser. Yesterday, everything was working fine.

This morning, the side bookmarks-bar didn't appear. I could switch to "Always visible on top" and see them. But "Always visible on side" and "Auto hide on side" both made bookmarks vanish completely.

I tried uninstalling Slimjet (while keeping settings) and reinstalling. Same issue.

Very reluctantly, I then uninstalled Slimjet and all saved data, losing weeks of customization. I reinstalled, and saw the default advertisement-driven bookmarks. When I tested "Always visible on side", the bookmarks showed.

I synchronized with my Google Account, picking up my own bookmarks. And now, once again, bookmarks are invisible unless I choose "Always visible on top".

Any other suggestions?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

belltimes wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 am
Running Version 20.0.4.0 (based on Chromium 68.0.3440.75) (Official Build) (32-bit) on Windows 10.

I reinstalled, and saw the default advertisement-driven bookmarks. When I tested "Always visible on side", the bookmarks showed.

I synchronized with my Google Account, picking up my own bookmarks. And now, once again, bookmarks are invisible unless I choose "Always visible on top".
Do you have a Theme that you install and if so at what point in this process did you bring it back after the complete uninstall?

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

belltimes

Post by belltimes »

I haven't installed any theme, and must be using the default.

But given that you haven't reproduced the error with your test bookmarks, and it reoccurred for me only after restoring my own bookmarks, I wonder if the Slimjet bug is triggered by something there. I can send you an export of my bookmarks by email if you'd like. (I might also be able to experiment with bookmark changes on my end, but unfortunately my testing time is restricted right now due to RSI.)

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I'm limited to looking for a user level solution. It would not help much to have your bookmarks.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Cristobahl

Post by Cristobahl »

The exact same thing is happening here. Also version 20.0.4.0 (x64 on Windows 7 x64).

The side bar is visible if removing all saved data, but when synchronizing with my Google Account, it is not possible to display the side bar. I have also tried to downgrade to an older version which worked (19.0.5.0) but the same thing happened. It seems a saved setting in the Google Account is now blocking it.

Edit: found the problem, in the file %AppData%\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\Preferences:

Code: Select all

"side_bookmark_bar_width":0,
Changing this to 200 made the sidebar visible.