Updating Slimjet becoming ever greater chore with each new release.

Slimjet bug reports
RaymondO

Updating Slimjet becoming ever greater chore with each new release.

Post by RaymondO »

It used to be the case whenever Slimjet asked me if I wanted to install a new update, I would just click Yes and it would do just that, simply and quickly. But starting some months ago it began throwing errors during the update process. I always choose the 64-bit version (because why wouldn't you?) and I pick the offline installer to avoid having to re-download it every time it fails to update.

When it first started happening, it would begin the update but then stop with the error "shfileOperation failed: 78" can't copy over new files. I eventually figured out that if I closed SJ and ran it as Administrator, that solved the problem. But with the last few releases that stopped being enough.

I found I could only update if I deleted the c:\Program Files\Slimjet folder and then ran the installer as Administrator. A few more releases and that didn't work anymore either. Now it happens after the program has supposedly finished installing and asks me "do you want to run Slimjet.exe now?" then it throws the error if I answer Yes. What I found I have to do now is to delete the SJ folder and then go to c:\users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\Slimjet and delete that folder too and then run the installer as Administrator before it will install correctly. Which is a huge pain because it deletes all my settings and I have to resync to get all my bookmarks, extensions, and preferences back. Some of the extensions lose all their data and I have to rebuild their preferences too.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's some kind of permissions issue. Any attention to this issue would be appreciated.

oftentired

Re: Updating Slimjet becoming ever greater chore with each new release.

Post by oftentired »

I experienced issues with privileges and installation of Slimjet and some other programs when I changed a user account from admin to Standard. After changing the account back to Admin the problems went away.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

robbinsd

Re: Updating Slimjet becoming ever greater chore with each new release.

Post by robbinsd »

Make sure that there are no slimjet.exe processes running when you start the installation. Each extension launches a separate instance of slimjet.exe and I have found that when you close Slimjet, that some of those instances don't always close.

Just a thought...