Facebook Videos Auto-Play Not Working

Slimjet bug reports
DaveHawley

Facebook Videos Auto-Play Not Working

Post by DaveHawley »

I'm using Slimjet 10.0.11.0 on Windows XP.
A few days ago, the auto-playing of videos in my Facebook timeline stopped working, and they're still not working now.
They worked fine for many months, and I can't see that I've changed anything to cause this, at least not knowingly.
If I click on the videos, they seem to play fine in a new page overlay, but not in the news feed.
They are using the Pepper Flash plugin 23.0.0.185, which is the one bundled with Slimjet 10.0.11.0.
Is this happening for anyone else using Slimjet 10 on XP?
:?:

RBTB2605

Re: Facebook Videos Auto-Play Not Working

Post by RBTB2605 »

Most people, including me, do not want videos to autoplay on Facebook. What a bothersome thing that would be !

With that being said, go to your Facebook settings and check under the "Videos" and make sure that "Auto Play Videos" is set to "Off". Maybe it accidentally got turned on somehow.

DaveHawley

Post by DaveHawley »

I actually don't mind them auto-playing, as long as the sound is off, which it always used to be.
I just want to know why the behaviour has suddenly changed, for no apparent reason!
Videos are still set to auto-play in my Facebook settings (I set it to "on" instead of "default" but it made no difference).
Could it be because the Flash Player version in Slimjet 10.0.11.0 is now out of date?
:)

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Well I still visit this forum, but i gave up on running Slimjet in favor of the latest Chrome 64bit release. Sometimes I can contribute something useful, sometimes I have no clue what I am talking about. :D

DaveHawley

Post by DaveHawley »

Don't worry, I know a lot of people don't like auto-playing videos, especially if the sound is enabled.
I'd just got rather used to it on Facebook, and got to like it, and I can't understand why it appears to have suddenly for no apparent reason stopped working!
:)

DaveHawley

Post by DaveHawley »

OK, I'm pretty sure now that the problem is due to the Flash Player being out of date.
Slimjet 10.0.11.0 includes Flash 23.0.0.185, which is now out of date.
The only way I can prove this is to use the current version of Flash Player, but I don't seem to be able to get Slimjet to use it.
If I install it on the system Slimjet ignores it and just carries on using its built-in version.
If I try substituting the files in Slimjet for the later versions it doesn't work, I just get "cannot load plugin".
Anyone any ideas?
:?:

DaveHawley

Post by DaveHawley »

Well after some more investigation, I don't think it is due to an out of date Flash version, as Google Chrome is using an even older Flash 22 version, and the videos auto play fine there!
Anyone any suggestions?
I reported this problem to the devs by e-mail and support request ages ago, but absolutely no response!
:(