Videos do not play on Twitter

Slimjet bug reports
RBTB2605

Videos do not play on Twitter

Post by RBTB2605 »

When I am occasionally on Twitter using Slimjet and try to play a video posted there, I get the message "This browser does not support video playback."

Here is one such random link...

https://twitter.com/derrikjlang/status/ ... 7077345280

Why ? Does this video play for anyone else ?

cwm4bama

Re: Videos do not play on Twitter

Post by cwm4bama »

This is the message I get when I clicked on the "Play" button:

"This browser does not support video playback."

But I can play video OK on many other sites...strange,,, :o

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Thanks for confirming that it is just not me who is seeing this. I do not spend a lot of time on Twitter, but occasionally I am there to check on a post or a video and without fail, the videos never play. I go to Firefox and they play fine.

The Twitter videos do play fine in the latest release of Opera which also is a Chromium based browser. There is something about Slimjet and I will be darned if I know what it is. Videos play fine on all other sites in Slimjet.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Well right now my choice of fast browsers comes down to Slimjet and Opera. The Twitter videos play fine in Opera. I am just trying to get a browser that has fewer issues than the "other guy's browser and right now Opera is running ahead of Slimjet.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

So quiet in this forum that you can hear a pin drop. :o

dev

Post by dev »

I would guess its all to do with file type, patent and how slimjet has to pull the codec out of your OS ...its always been a problem on different video sites etc since the early days of slimjet

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

This problem has been discussed here a few times, going back at least to August, in a thread I started: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=932

There hasn't been a word from Admin on the problem that I'm aware of.

My backup chromium browser, Vivaldi, plays the videos perfectly, as does my other backup browser, firefox. Apparently the problem is the licensing of the .mp4 codecs, as user "dev" here has suggested. In one of my posts, I quoted a site that suggested that a different chromium edition could be used, which would include the licensed codecs. I'm not sure that's correct, but some input from Admin would clear it up, one would think.

Meanwhile, given the importance of video, I find myself using Vivaldi more and more, and recommending Slimjet less and less.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

I am trying to stick with Slimjet. I also like Opera. Vivaldi for some reason doesn't enthuse me that much. The videos on Twitter (where admittedly I do not spend too much time) do play in Opera and on Firefox. Those are my other browsers. But a response from one of the developers is desirable and I do not see that happening either. I continue to tell my friends about Slimjet as I really do like it.

dev

Post by dev »

paul1149 wrote:This problem has been discussed here a few times, going back at least to August, in a thread I started: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=932

There hasn't been a word from Admin on the problem that I'm aware of.

My backup chromium browser, Vivaldi, plays the videos perfectly, as does my other backup browser, firefox. Apparently the problem is the licensing of the .mp4 codecs, as user "dev" here has suggested. In one of my posts, I quoted a site that suggested that a different chromium edition could be used, which would include the licensed codecs. I'm not sure that's correct, but some input from Admin would clear it up, one would think.

Meanwhile, given the importance of video, I find myself using Vivaldi more and more, and recommending Slimjet less and less.
The lack of feedback from the developers has always been a problem on the forum , me and you have pointed it out before many times but i reckon its a couple of chaps who work from home tbh rather than a team / business which isn't a problem but explains the lack of feedback if right

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

I sure as heck hope that this browser does not go away. That would be a real tragedy if it did.