Slimjet 1.2.2.0 and 1.2.3.0 crash on search pages

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Jetlikelong

Slimjet 1.2.2.0 and 1.2.3.0 crash on search pages

Post by Jetlikelong »

Starting with the V1.2.2.0, Slimjet has started crashing. Very strange, but the crashes seem to occur anytime I try to use a search page, such as google.com or duck duck go, etc. I just updated again to 1.2.3.0, and am having the same issue. Prior to these 2 updates it worked perfectly. I can open new tabs from links, from emails, from the extension One-Tab. It only crashes when I go to a search page. I know it sounds strange, but that's why I am reporting. I can use IE, portable Firefox and Opera -- no such problems on any of those with searching. Using Win 7 SP1& Home Premium, 64bit. Please post if there if a fix for this, because it is making Slimjet unusable for me -- :(

Here is info from crash, if it helps.
Problem Event name: APPCRASH
Application name: slimjet
Application version: 1.2.3.0
Application timestamp: 541c88a2
Fault module name: chrome.dll
Fault module version: 1.2.3.0
Fault module timestamp: 541c8868
Exception code: 80000003
Exception offset: 004affc0
Os version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
locale ID: 1033
additional info 1: 0a9e
additional info 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
additional info 3: 0a9e
additional info 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

LimboSlam

Re: Slimjet 1.2.2.0 and 1.2.3.0 crash on search pages

Post by LimboSlam »

Yeah it's happening with me too. Now that I think of it, after 1.0.17 it started crashing and was not responding very well. I always thought it was of to many tabs and other programs I had running.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 sp1

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

I've been using it pretty much all day with no issues (W7 Pro 64bit).

@Jetlikelong (or LimboSlam)...I see you tried a few different browsers. Have you tried Chrome 37 itself (didn't see it listed with the browsers you did list) even if just for a test? There are instances of such mentioned if you google it (obviously not with the last 2 slimjet versions!). Also are you using the built in flash player (14.xx) or the player from adobe (15.0.0.152)? I use the 15 version...just asking, may or may not have anything to do with it, just offering thoughts. .

Also, maybe try disabling all plugins and/or extensions (if any extensions are used) or at least note which ones to see if you and LimboSlam have any similarities.....just a thought..

Jetlikelong

Post by Jetlikelong »

Thanks, jeffhere. I had been using Chrome for years, and never had this problem. Changed to ssd recently, and Chrome would only install on C drive, and I didn't want to use up that space. So that is when I found Slimjet and it was excellent, but then the search issue started with the last 2 updates. Based on your suggestion, I saw there were many posts concerning this very issue. I found one which suggested to uncheck enable hardware acceleration in Flash. Tried that and VOILA! It seems to have fixed the issue, so far. Great. Maybe something changed with the last 2 updates. Thank you very much. :D

Jetlikelong

Post by Jetlikelong »

Sorry, I spoke too soon. If I go to actual search page, ie, google.com and search from the search box, it no longer crashes. However if I type my search in the address bar (omni box) and hit enter, the default google search page opens with links, but then the same appcrash occurs almost instantly after the page opens. So, problem is only partially solved. Will continue with your suggestions to disable extensions and see what happens; and if necessary go on the investigate the flash versions in use. But I think I was using the same extensions with Slimjet before without any problem. Again, for me, this only started with last 2 updates of Slimjet. :?

dev

Post by dev »

jeffhere wrote:I've been using it pretty much all day with no issues (W7 Pro 64bit).

@Jetlikelong (or LimboSlam)...I see you tried a few different browsers. Have you tried Chrome 37 itself (didn't see it listed with the browsers you did list) even if just for a test? There are instances of such mentioned if you google it (obviously not with the last 2 slimjet versions!). Also are you using the built in flash player (14.xx) or the player from adobe (15.0.0.152)? I use the 15 version...just asking, may or may not have anything to do with it, just offering thoughts. .

Also, maybe try disabling all plugins and/or extensions (if any extensions are used) or at least note which ones to see if you and LimboSlam have any similarities.....just a thought..

Google will be blocking NPAPI soon. Lets hope it doesn't stop the use of Flash etc.

Jetlikelong

Post by Jetlikelong »

Went through extensions and my problem does seem to have been Avast Browser Security and Web Reputation Plugin. Disabled that, and so far, (fingers crossed,) searching from either address (omni-box) or search page hasn't crashed. Thanks again for the help. :D

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

My thought was an extension or plugin is having trouble with the later Chrome versions....and also looking for similarity between yours and LimboSlam's systems! I did see your later post now and am crossing fingers too so that you put that to bed. This way, Stephen (author of Slimjet) can continue concentrating on updates and features.... ;)
Jetlikelong wrote:Sorry, I spoke too soon. If I go to actual search page, ie, google.com and search from the search box, it no longer crashes. However if I type my search in the address bar (omni box) and hit enter, the default google search page opens with links, but then the same appcrash occurs almost instantly after the page opens. So, problem is only partially solved. Will continue with your suggestions to disable extensions and see what happens; and if necessary go on the investigate the flash versions in use. But I think I was using the same extensions with Slimjet before without any problem. Again, for me, this only started with last 2 updates of Slimjet. :?

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

didn't they recently stop PPAPI? I hope not for NPAPI, as that will affect virtually all plugins, as I am aware! Yeesh what a mess that would be!!
dev wrote:
jeffhere wrote:I've been using it pretty much all day with no issues (W7 Pro 64bit).

Google will be blocking NPAPI soon. Lets hope it doesn't stop the use of Flash etc.

dev

Post by dev »

jeffhere wrote:didn't they recently stop PPAPI? I hope not for NPAPI, as that will affect virtually all plugins, as I am aware! Yeesh what a mess that would be!!
dev wrote:

http://blog.chromium.org/2014/05/update ... ation.html. Also read "To help ease the transition from NPAPI, NaCl recently exposed two new Pepper APIs for media playback and processing. The MediaStreams API enables low latency multimedia playback, and the Hardware Decode API enables efficient video decoding." Otherwords end of flash.