[Feature Request] Reduce harddisk writes

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
yxtiger1

[Feature Request] Reduce harddisk writes

Post by yxtiger1 »

There's great many of harddisk writes, in directory "Slimjet\Default" and "Slimjet\User Data" or below. These were not web-page caches.
During my usage, it may be several GB per day or even more!
Among these writes, most are:
  • *Cookies
    *Current Session
    *000003, 000007.log and etc. (Default\Extension State)
    *Preferences, History, Favicons, Top Sites, Current Tabs
    *many .tmp
    *some web-page's private data?
File writes may be watched by a simple tool, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_changes_view.html

[My Suggestion]
1. Reduce some repeative writes. Save these type data every 5 minutes, and when slimjet close, or other situation needed.
2. Provide a method for user's clean, which to avoid too big LOGs which may cause significant writes.
3. RAMDISK(or tmp) directory appointment, which could protecd main harddisk/SSD perfectly.
(copy to RAMDISK when slimjet startup, backup every 5 minutes, an backup when close).
4. Ban some extension's LOG!

I'm prefer 1 and 3. I'm afraid that 2 could bother users repeatively.

And last: slimjet is a lovely browser. Thanks for your hard work!

illusionofchoice

Re: [Feature Request] Reduce harddisk writes

Post by illusionofchoice »

I think this has nothing to do with Slimjet as a chromium variant, but with chromium itself, specifically chromiums way of handling cache storage. Since about chromium version 33-35 (a few months before Coolnovo died if anyone remembers that amazing browser) i noticed any browser based on those versions and newer started eating away my HDD with too many i/o writes. There are some topics reporting on this issue on bugs.chromium but no one seems to care too much about it. After a lot of testing i came to conclusion that cache is the main problem generating unlimited writes while idle and "destroying" HDD while loading pages, so it needs to be disabled completely. Fortunately Slimjet has this option implemented for cache, so just set "Custom cache directory:" to some unwritable location like H:\ (virtual or physical CD Drive) or edit preferences file and set it to Z:\, and set "Custom cache size:" to 0 or 1, and thats it you disabled cache successfully and should not have so many writes in the future. Using this will bring writes to little above Firefox level, but at least usable. Not sure if this is the case on your system but worth a try.

yxtiger1

Re: [Feature Request] Reduce harddisk writes

Post by yxtiger1 »

Thanks, yet my suggestion is NOT web-page's cache. (I've installed a Primo RAMDISK, and specified cache directory on it. The cache's writes are removed successfully.)
The problem above, is about COOKIEs/SESSIONs and so on, there's directory are not affected by "cache directory". So I wroted this post.

After that post, I've already handled the extension's log(000003, 000007.log and etc, in User Data\Default\Extension State). Just clear the Extension State directory, and disable its write Privilege^_^