Slimjet v Slimboat; privacy

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Slimjet v Slimboat; privacy

Post by paul1149 »

I've been very impressed with Flashpeak's work for a few years now. I thought Slimbrowser was the best adaptation of IE, but didn't use it because I don't like the IE engine. Now with Slimjet being based on Chromium, it has become my backup browser of choice, with Opera 12 remaining my main browser probably until it becomes obsolete.

I have two questions. First, I don't understand what Slimboat is, and how it relates to Slimjet. I don't see a hint of explanation on the SB website.

The second question is more important. I don't see any privacy statement on either the Flashpeak or Slimjet sites. I just came across another Chromium derivative that reportedly has privacy problems, and would like to make sure that Flashpeak's offerings do not share that concern.

Thanks,
Paul

oftentired

Re: Slimjet v Slimboat; privacy

Post by oftentired »

The Privacy Policy for Slimbrowser and Slimbjet are on the Produce Webpages under the Business Links. I could not find a policy for Slimboat.

http://www.slimbrowser.net/en/privacy-policy.htm
http://www.slimjet.com/en/privacy-policy.htm

I think Flashpeak developers have been looking all along at the options they have to bring people the best possible browser and that Slimboat was a natural step beyond Slimbrowser. The Slimboat project was originally promising a very fast light weight cross platform reliable browser, but I think the developers of the Webkit rendering engine it is based upon have disappointed programmers making use of it by not keeping up with the updates needed to keep the Webkit rendering engine up to date with current webpage rendering standards and plain old ordinary bug fixes. Because of this problem with the underlying Webkit rendering engine the Flashpeak developers moved along to the Chromium based browser which they call Slimjet.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

paul1149

Re: Slimjet v Slimboat; privacy

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks, oftentired, that was a very helpful post. The engine history is interesting, and I'm impressed with Flashpeak's dedication to getting good product out the door, which they are doing nicely. I like the idea of incorporating some enhanced functionality directly into the browser. Firefox's need for an extension to do everything gets wearying.

I found the Slimjet privacy policy very readable and reasonable. Also, on the About page, I read
Slimjet DOES NOT send any usage statistics back to Google's server like Google Chrome, which is a growing concern for many Chrome users due to the ubiquitous presence and reach of the advertising empire.
which is a very attractive selling point.

I also didn't find a privacy policy for Slimboat. Nor did I see any Webkit info there, so thanks for that info.

BW,
Paul