Chrome to drop Support for Vista and XP

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
dev

Re: Chrome to drop Support for Vista and XP

Post by dev »

LimboSlam wrote:
dev wrote:Yet your using vista ?? you have no choice in this ? and if chrome support ends for xp and vista before 2017 you are going to have to use a older version of slimjet or a version of slimjet that is at risk as it does not support your operating system will you not as slimjet follows the chromium updates so slimjet won't support it either way per security. So a outdated os and browser but your into security that doesn't make sense to me ?
dev chill, ok man. Now Vista in it's prime was and still for some people is aimed at security. And as I stated up above, Vista is still supported with all bugs and security fixes that are applicable to this certain version of the OS.

Also, don't you think I know what I'm doing, that I got a back up plan once EOL comes to Vista SP2, that I know how to protect myself with layered security? Come on now. ;) So to satisfy your judgmental opinion, yes I got another laptop (Dell Latitude D830 w/ Windows 7 SP1 business) in layaway. Though I prefer Vista. Currently I'm using a Dell Latitude modal D630 w/ Vista SP2 business. Now should I go on? I think not as my point is pretty clear, which is I'm no fool and I know what I'm doing. :)

Chap you completely misjudged what i said and what i asked but whatever your response brought a smile to my face :lol:

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

dev wrote:Chap you completely misjudged what i said and what i asked but whatever your response brought a smile to my face :lol:
So I did. My bad. :) :mrgreen:

QuinncyonVista

Post by QuinncyonVista »

even if Slimjet may not support vista for security updates . Would a good antivirus software solve that problem ?

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

QuinncyonVista wrote:even if Slimjet may not support vista for security updates . Would a good antivirus software solve that problem ?
Well sort of. You see I'll or anyone using Slimjet on Windows Vista will keep running normally, but the cost will be that I/you/anyone won't be able to get the latest features out of Slimjet. But since this ain't the case anymore as flashpeak will continue support for Windows Vista, you should be fine.

Also, if you plan to stay on Windows Vista after EOL, then I suggest you install Panda Free AV or plus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free or plus, SAS free or plus, WinPatrol free or plus, EMET, Zemana AntiLogger free or plus, SandBoxie free or plus and lastly maybe a anti-ransomware program considering those specific attacks are becoming regulars in the digital world.

QuinncyonVista

Post by QuinncyonVista »

I would stick with the Av I am using now kaspersky Internet security program .. And malware Bites . I have Chatted with Techs about installing windows 10 in a Vista machine . as even my processor is more ghz as on some of other models today with my same stats except for the graphics cards

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

QuinncyonVista wrote:I would stick with the Av I am using now kaspersky Internet security program .. And malware Bites . I have Chatted with Techs about installing windows 10 in a Vista machine . as even my processor is more ghz as on some of other models today with my same stats except for the graphics cards
Or if you prefer the Vista layout, you could always upgrade to Windows 7, which will be very similar and will continue to get support up until 2020.

Though so long as my computers don't expire, I will continue to use Windows 7 long after the official support is dropped, because lots (and I mean lots) of my older software, that runs fine on windows 7, refuses to run under windows 10.

This is why my newest laptop has 2TB of hard drive space and has a dual boot system, of windows 7 and windows 10.

I've even got two XP computers, and so long as they still work, they will be kept on XP for the really old programs that windows 7 won't even run.

Slimjet should still support XP and Vista until the browser stops working, for whatever reason. A bit like NPAPI plugins. Chrome dropped NPAPI support in September 2015, and Slimjet continued to support them. Google Talk stopped working after the Slimjet version based on Chrome 46, but everything else worked fine until version 8.0.5, released in March 2016. The latest release (9.0.1, April 2016) seems to have broken something, and if that can't be fixed, then NPAPI users will have to remain on 8.0.5. You can always switch off updates in Slimjet, which is something you cannot do on Chrome.

sweetpeas

Post by sweetpeas »

I don't quite feel sorry about windows users but I'm more feel sorry for ReactOS users & developers.
They end up the same fate as XP since they can't run nothing about 64 bits applications
it's ReactOS dead end.

None of developers that drop XP support aware that they're buried ReactOS alive.
While Linux they can shift to 64 bits as Win7, 8-8.1, 10 64 bits.