Chrome to drop Support for Vista and XP

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Nordones

Chrome to drop Support for Vista and XP

Post by Nordones »

I guess this means SlimJet will too?
-N-

oftentired

Re: Chrome to drop Support for Vista and XP

Post by oftentired »

This is something that flows downhill so to speak.

Microsoft is not going to push updates or security fixes to Vista and XP which in turn means that program developers no longer have to make code adjustments that are required after Microsoft sends out their updates to Vista and XP platforms.

Chrome (therefore Slimjet) will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer be making updates and security fixes related to the OS because they no longer need to do so.

Topic moved to the General forum.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Nordones

Post by Nordones »

oftentired wrote:This is something that flows downhill so to speak.

Chrome (therefore Slimjet) will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer be making updates and security fixes related to the OS because they no longer need to do so.

Figured there was no way around it with SlimJet. I have an old Dell, so XP is about as much as it will handle and the XP hack and XP PRO SP4 makes it relatively secure, albeit with other browsers for now. My tablet is W10, so there SlimJet makes much better sense than Google Chrome unvarnished, so to speak.

Thanks.
-N-

tosim91x

Post by tosim91x »

Be advised that Chrome also will not support the 32b versions of Linux as of March2016.

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

WOW! Thought there would be a way around this. So is this truly the end of the ride for Slimjet as my browser of choice. Yeah I'm very into security/privacy.

Hmmmm..........?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

LimboSlam wrote:WOW! Thought there would be a way around this. So is this truly the end of the ride for Slimjet as my browser of choice. Yeah I'm very into security/privacy.

Hmmmm..........?
Until you start running a non-legacy operating system you can always stick with the last version of Slimjet that does run properly when it reaches the point that an update does not install/run.

The same thing happened with Win 95/98/ME before Vista and XP. In the future it will happen to Win 7 and all that follow.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

oftentired wrote:Until you start running a non-legacy operating system you can always stick with the last version of Slimjet that does run properly when it reaches the point that an update does not install/run.

The same thing happened with Win 95/98/ME before Vista and XP. In the future it will happen to Win 7 and all that follow.
Well actually Vista isn't legacy yet (come April 11, 2017 is EOL) because Windows/Microsoft still supports it, so it's still getting all it's bug and security fixes. So the only logical reason why Chrome would discontinue support for it would be that it's not a so popular or widely used OS.

Now until official EOL comes to Vista, I will continue to use Slimjet as you suggested.

dev

Post by dev »

LimboSlam wrote:WOW! Thought there would be a way around this. So is this truly the end of the ride for Slimjet as my browser of choice. Yeah I'm very into security/privacy.

Hmmmm..........?
Yet your using vista ?? you have no choice in this ? and if chrome support ends for xp and vista before 2017 you are going to have to use a older version of slimjet or a version of slimjet that is at risk as it does not support your operating system will you not as slimjet follows the chromium updates so slimjet won't support it either way per security. So a outdated os and browser but your into security that doesn't make sense to me ?

dev

Post by dev »

Nordones wrote:
oftentired wrote:This is something that flows downhill so to speak.

Figured there was no way around it with SlimJet. I have an old Dell, so XP is about as much as it will handle and the XP hack and XP PRO SP4 makes it relatively secure, albeit with other browsers for now. My tablet is W10, so there SlimJet makes much better sense than Google Chrome unvarnished, so to speak.

Thanks.
Why not have a stab at installing windows 10 as its as light as xp and will run on older systems , i've seen articles with it running on 12 year old machines, maybe worth a try ? :)

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

dev wrote:Yet your using vista ?? you have no choice in this ? and if chrome support ends for xp and vista before 2017 you are going to have to use a older version of slimjet or a version of slimjet that is at risk as it does not support your operating system will you not as slimjet follows the chromium updates so slimjet won't support it either way per security. So a outdated os and browser but your into security that doesn't make sense to me ?
dev chill, ok man. Now Vista in it's prime was and still for some people is aimed at security. And as I stated up above, Vista is still supported with all bugs and security fixes that are applicable to this certain version of the OS.

Also, don't you think I know what I'm doing, that I got a back up plan once EOL comes to Vista SP2, that I know how to protect myself with layered security? Come on now. ;) So to satisfy your judgmental opinion, yes I got another laptop (Dell Latitude D830 w/ Windows 7 SP1 business) in layaway. Though I prefer Vista. Currently I'm using a Dell Latitude modal D630 w/ Vista SP2 business. Now should I go on? I think not as my point is pretty clear, which is I'm no fool and I know what I'm doing. :)