SlimJet starts VERY slow

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
TJlivinginCA

SlimJet starts VERY slow

Post by TJlivinginCA »

Before I pronounce this "a bug", I'd like to see if I can fix this on my own... I am running SJ under Lubuntu 15.10 on a AMD x2 3.9Ghz w/ SSD.

Currently, when I start SlimJet, it takes about 15-20 sec to start!! -- about a week or 10 days ago it would start in about 1 second. I've tried disabling the extensions that I recently installed. I then cleared my cookies. I then tried to change some of the memory settings (but I've noticed that I can't set my cache size to 0 -- I'd like to toggle on custom size=0 because I run SJ on a SSD). I also disabled the option to leave apps running after closing SJ. None of these changes help resolve the problem..

So then I decided to run SJ in a terminal... I was going to run in "safe-mode", but could not find command (there is no help or manual attached to flashpeak-slimjet). If there is a command for this I would like to know...
But when SJ started I was greeted with a number of "error" lines... some of which I was able to google, and find a correction or workaround. But none of these corrections helped improve the startup-time. I was left with the following error lines in the terminal (that may or may not have to do with the problem):

Code: Select all

[7904:7904:1125/182305:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(348)] GLX 1.3 or later is required.
[7904:7904:1125/182305:ERROR:gl_surface_x11.cc(56)] GLSurfaceGLX::InitializeOneOff failed.
[7904:7904:1125/182305:ERROR:gpu_child_thread.cc(235)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
# this is where the long delay occurs on startup
So, I would appreciate any suggestions on how I can resolve this, as I don't like to leave slimjet running all the time.

oftentired

Re: SlimJet starts VERY slow

Post by oftentired »

The biggest slow down I've experienced has been related to extensions.

Make sure you didn't upgrade to a mis-match on the 32bit or 64bit ??

I'm not sure if your slowdown is before or after you have the initial SJ window. If after, did you change your start page?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

TJlivinginCA

Re: SlimJet starts VERY slow

Post by TJlivinginCA »

It appears that this is a bug between Ubuntu 15.10 and Chrome, Chromium, Slimjet (and all derivatives).

This is why I determined this: I installed Chromium (first install -- no extensions, etc) -- it also starts slow. I had Firefox installed w/ addons -- it starts in a few seconds. I installed Chrome (never previously installed) -- it starts slow. I then purged Slimjet v.6.04 and deleted all related folders. I then installed the last version of Slimjet 5. It started slow too!

I also run Slimjet v.6.04 (but it's 32-bit) on Puppy Linux (TahrPup), and it starts fast.

I Googled for some bugs related to 15.10, but found none... I'll wait a few days, maybe there'll be an Ubuntu update to fix this...

BTW, if anyone is using Slimjet on Ubuntu 15.10, and it starts fast (or slow), I'd like to hear from you.