"Search Google for this image" is missing in 5.0.16 portable

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
windward

"Search Google for this image" is missing in 5.0.16 portable

Post by windward »

I have used the function hundreds of times in 3.1.5.0 & 4.0.14. I was very disappointed to see that it is gone in 5.0.16.
I suppose the right click context menu function was removed in v5 but I cannot find any info about it.
I see 2 extensions that might do the job but I try to keep extensions to the absolute minimum.
Any advice ?

oftentired

Re: "Search Google for this image" is missing in 5.0.16 port

Post by oftentired »

It should still be there. You could try 5.0.17 portable or 6.0.1.0 portable.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

nope not there in 6.1 for me, never noticed till i read this thread. Could it be a flag that needs enabling like the mute on tabs ?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I'm running 6.0.1.0

I have the selection to search images in the right click context menu for some but not all images.

On my main Facebook stream it does not give the menu item but if I click on an image which isolates and enlarges the image and then right click the image I do get the selection to search images.

If I go to google images and right click a thumbnail I get the selection to search images.

I visited the PCPitstop forum and I right clicked the persistent ad on the top right of the Main page and the context menu gave me the selection to search images.

In the same forum I right clicked on a User Submitted photo and I got the selection to search images.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

That's all good and well but doesn't help at all for people who are not seeing it . Maybe a flag or a option in settings etc that is different in your slimjet compared to others . It should be there if you open up any picture in a new tab.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Well I see it as a process of elimination. The more on topic information the better for working out what may or may not be going on.

I couldn't find a flag that would affect it. Except for a custom cache I pretty much use the default settings.

One thing I'm seeing, so far, is that the built in ad blocker is disabled for webpages where I can see the selection to search for image on google and it is not disabled when I don't have the selection.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

still nothing for me in incognito mode so its not extension based

I can't see how the inbuilt adblocker would affect context menu but i'm not that smart about coding lol Anyhow tried with and without the inbuilt adblocker (i dont use it tbh still use ublock) but still no context command .

ive tried enabling webrtc nothing
i've tried all settings on default nothing

Even checked on wife and kids laptops with their slimjets and its the same no context command

dev

Post by dev »

one thought i don't run java ?

and found this Got the same. Found out it is a glitch with an account sync (messed up chrome settings or something like that). Go to https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard and delete all data associated with chrome, then re-install the browser. It completely solves the problem, "Search Google for this image" reappears in the context menu (if you need to save bookmarks, just use HTML export).

i don't fancy trying this tbh tho not with all my bookmarks anyhoo

this will do as temp fix https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... pmnglmnflm by google before they added into releases as inbuilt

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

yeah I wasn't convinced it had anything to do with the adblocker. But it was odd that the pattern remained correct for the different pages I checked. It is almost as if the graphic element of the webpage is not presenting itself as a graphic.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

yeah it could be the element being blocked but its a funny quirk for sure.