How long will Flash survive?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
dev

How long will Flash survive?

Post by dev »

Nice video from the bbc thought i would share might stir a debate in here you never know . http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34799790

LimboSlam

Re: How long will Flash survive?

Post by LimboSlam »

Flash won't ever die in my opinion, but if you want an exact date, I don't know. Though I would have to estimate another 3-5 years from now. This goes with NPAPI plugins as well.

EDIT: I personally don't want it to die, Flash I need for my work environment.

dev

Post by dev »

Npapi is dead and about time really, only firefox left to kill them and that will be at the end of 2016. As to flash its flawed by security issues what was it in the video 170 versions since 2008 and yet people still use it.

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

dev wrote:Npapi is dead and about time really, only firefox left to kill them and that will be at the end of 2016. As to flash its flawed by security issues what was it in the video 170 versions since 2008 and yet people still use it.
Well it's good thing I don't use Firefox anymore, haven't been for the last 2-3 years. I use Slimjet of course. Well to be honest, I use Pale Moon (an Open Source web browser forked off from the Firefox/Mozilla code) a lot more recently, but I would like to think I use them both equally. I don't know, there both two amazing browsers that aim for flexibility, customization and user choice above all.

And yes it's very flawed, but most still need it to browse the web fully, especially if your job or hobby calls for it. I also think the main line browsers are killing this to soon without no feasible alternative while it's being developed; HTML5, CSS3, EME, CDM and more with better integration in the browser. So knowing this, how is NPAPI dead. No, it wont be for awhile. I'm sorry my friend.

EDIT: Hahaha! Even the damn video plays with flash! What happens Chrome/Slimjet and all the other browsers kill Flash? It's not gonna be an overnight fix you know, especially for a good replacement of the NPAPI technology which does it's job nicely. Now I'm not denying it has some major security issues, and it does, but why can't warnings be given out of it being a security risk to the user inside their preferred browser. Why can't we decide when to enable it in our browser or not to, can't we make that choice for our selves? Theres also something similar to click-to-play in every browser, which is a good line between both extremes.

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Npapi is dead. Flash is dead after the Hacking Team scandal (July this year if I'm correct).
Francesco Cantalini
Sysadmin and IT Security Consultant

sweetpeas

Post by sweetpeas »

Until flash games, flash app, facebook flash games, Windows Store flash games extinct.
You see... even whole dmm japanese games still running flashes.
or some online reliable paint app still alive such as sumopaint or queeky don't underestimate these 2
I've use them instead photoshop & sai till now.

What's really dead is flash videos are unneed & flash ads be killed.