[Feature Request] Bookmarks Side Panel improvements?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
RBTB2605

[Feature Request] Bookmarks Side Panel improvements?

Post by RBTB2605 »

I am back to using Slimjet almost exclusively now and as someone who has been a Firefox devotee for quite a a few years, I am discovering that Slimjet is both faster and friendlier to me.

One thing that I cannot live without is the bookmarks side panel that I keep docked and open on the left side of the browser window because I have many bookmarked sites (some 1800 or so) that are all organized into categorized folders. Firefox still has an easier to use and modify bookmarks side panel, but Slimjet's is coming close. I am hoping that in the future that the Slimjet team can make the side panel easier to customize. I would like the ability to drag and drop as well as the ability to eliminate the "Managed Bookmarks" and "Parent Suggestions" folders. So what is preferred is a way to add a Bookmarks folder that is independent of the bookmarks bar. I have all of my bookmarks in the "Other Bookmarks" folder now. I use the bookmarks bar and keep it visible for some sites that I visit a lot to sit there independently for easy access.

Otherwise, keep up the good work ! I am telling friends and family about Slimjet.
Last edited by oftentired on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modified Topic Title and made sticky for a couple weeks

RBTB2605

Re: [Feature Request] Bookmarks Side Panel improvements?

Post by RBTB2605 »

Still hoping that something can be done to allow more customization of the bookmarks side panel in future releases.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

I am brand new to Slim and also a former Firefox user - before they trashed it - and also RBTB's questions. So far I have found Slim excellent but I too would like the ability to drag and drop new bookmarks directly into one of my many sub and sub sub folders.

Another little thing, this one more minor: there seems to be a Find icon but it is not Find On Page as I would like and as I am used to up there but rather "search current site" which seems to be quite different. Yes I know I can do Cntrl+F but I like the icon.

The bookmark thing, though, is the main thing for me and the main reason I just ditched Firefox and previously did the same to Opera, both of which used to have very nice bookmark side panels.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

I like this browser a lot. If they could just fix those two things - especially the adding bookmark by moving it directly to my folder or subfolder thing - it would be almost perfect for me.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Yes, just checking in here as I have migrated back to Cyberfox at this time. One reason why I am back to Cyberfox is that the bookmark management is superior to Slimjet's and it just feels more like "home" to me.But home for me is never going to be totally using the Firefox browser. The Chrome development team absolutely refuses to listen to very many people who want the option of having a bookmark's side panel and there are no extensions available that will even come close to what it is that I am looking for. Slimjet's side panel is fine, but I really wish for the ability to customize it even more that it can be. I still have Slimjet installed and it is my backup browser now. The way I have to have my bookmarks set up in Slimjet now is to utilize the "Other bookmarks" (why can't we rename that folder ?) folder and in that I have all of my categorized folders containing my bookmarked sites. I do not understand the "Managed bookmarks" and 'Parent suggestions" folders at all. Why are they necessary and why can we not delete them ? As the others have said...the ability to drag and drop would be nice and the ability to be able to customize the bookmarks panel also.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

donaldduck wrote: The bookmark thing, though, is the main thing for me and the main reason I just ditched Firefox and previously did the same to Opera, both of which used to have very nice bookmark side panels.
v7 Bookmarks is available for Opera and works reasonably well. I wish that it was available for Chrome/Slimjet as I would prefer to use that extension over what Slimjet currently offers for a side panel.

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... en&reports

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

RBTB - Your browser requirements sound a lot like mine. I have even more bookmarks in folders and sub folders, and even sub sub folders, than you do.

I seem to have gotten back my bookmarks sidebar on Firefox thanks to the add-on called All In One Sidebar. I think that was the one. I really haven't experimented with FF after adding that sidebar but I think I had some other serious problems with the "new and improved" - yeah right - FF which slip my mind at the moment. I am still using FF to add on new bookmarks and back up my bookmarks, because adding on bm's is a hassle here on SlimJet, and more importantly - despite other people telling me they can do it - I can't figure out how to back up bm's here.

Cyberfox? That's a browser I haven't tried yet? What is your verdict?

Meanwhile I am mostly using SlimJet here. Aside from the problems I've mentioned it works good for me.

Oh, on my side panel I have a"bookmarks bar" folder and under that an unmarked folder and when I open that I get the sidepanel array that I've imported. Also on the taskbar I have a bookmarks folder and through that is the only way I have found to enter new bm's, but I have to open that up and then move my mouse to the appropriate folder and then open it and then possibly open the appropriate sub folder and drag the new bm there. It is not so convenient.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

The bookmarks sidebar never left Firefox or any of the browsers based on Firefox such as Cyberfox. You do not need to run the add on that you are. You just need to customize the bar at the top of the browser so that you move the bookmarks button to the left side and click on that to show the bookmarks side panel.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... d-toolbars

Classic Theme Restorer is (for me), a must have add on for Firefox. It allows you to get Firefox back to a more old fashioned look that existed before the Australis theme was introduced.

I am running Cyberfox 64bit here as my main browser with Slimjet 64bit version as my backup. I like Cyberfox because it for me is more cusomizable than Firefox itself is.

Adding bookmarks is not a hassle on Slimjet. Just click on the star in the address box and choose where you wish to store the bookmark.

Bottom line is that I really like Slimjet, but I just wish to see the bookmarks side panel to come more in line with what Firefox has as far as the ability to customize it and rename main folders, etc.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

The bookmarks sidebar never left Firefox or any of the browsers based on Firefox such as Cyberfox. You do not need to run the add on that you are. You just need to customize the bar at the top of the browser so that you move the bookmarks button to the left side and click on that to show the bookmarks side panel.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... d-toolbars

--- Yes I know that, but I want a bookmark sidebar that stays up, stays up unless I want to hide it. Old Opera had the ideal setup for me, clicking on the left margin showed or alternately hid the bookmark sidebar.

Classic Theme Restorer is (for me), a must have add on for Firefox. It allows you to get Firefox back to a more old fashioned look that existed before the Australis theme was introduced.

--- I WAS using that but then it stopped working and it said that it was not compatible with the newest version of FF.

I am running Cyberfox 64bit here as my main browser with Slimjet 64bit version as my backup. I like Cyberfox because it for me is more cusomizable than Firefox itself is.

--- I'll try Cyberfox.

Adding bookmarks is not a hassle on Slimjet. Just click on the star in the address box and choose where you wish to store the bookmark.

---For whatever reason that doesn't work for me. The dropdown only shows one or two out of my many folders.

Bottom line is that I really like Slimjet, but I just wish to see the bookmarks side panel to come more in line with what Firefox has as far as the ability to customize it and rename main folders, etc.

--- Yes me too.

---Are you able to backup/save bookmarks from SlimJet?

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Cyberfox. No I don't think so. I don't know what it was up to with its installation process. Also legit reviews on it are sparse.