Slimjet 6 and Java support

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by flashpeak » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:11 pm

We have started working on migrating Slimjet to Chromium 46. But we are running into some difficulty with the support of Java. We found a way to re-enable the support of NPAPI and silverlight works just fine. However, Java simply refuses to work properly so far. It looks like Google's chrome team has removed or changed a lot of the supporting code for NPAPI. We will give a few more day's work to investigate the possibility. But from what we are looking at now, we might have to live without Java in Slimjet 6 built on top of Chromium 46.

We will make Slimjet 5 available for users who have to have Java support in any case.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by dev » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks for the update, users can always run java in IE tab extension if they need to. Tbh java is a big security risk and users should disable it.

reactorr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by reactorr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:24 am

thank you,

flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by flashpeak » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Finally, we got Java running in Slimjet 6. Things might be more difficult in Slimjet 7 based on Chromium 48. But we will keep the option there for as long as possible.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

reactorr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by reactorr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:44 am

flashpeak wrote:Finally, we got Java running in Slimjet 6. Things might be more difficult in Slimjet 7 based on Chromium 48. But we will keep the option there for as long as possible.
great! please quick update. I am waiting, thx

User avatar
hyperion
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:57 am
Location: Italy

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by hyperion » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 am

Although I consider Java nothing but a security risk...congratz for the implementation!
Francesco Cantalini
Sysadmin and IT Security Consultant

User avatar
rseilersj
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by rseilersj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:47 am

Yes, great job for those who need it -- though Flash has taken over from Java this year as the far more prevalent exploit, so either it's not quite the disaster it once was or hackers have moved on.

Zamgiga909
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:43 am

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by Zamgiga909 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:04 pm

dev wrote:Thanks for the update, users can always run java in IE tab extension if they need to. Tbh java is a big security risk and users should disable it.
Yep...good riddance, I say.

spotify95
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by spotify95 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:30 pm

flashpeak wrote:We have started working on migrating Slimjet to Chromium 46. But we are running into some difficulty with the support of Java. We found a way to re-enable the support of NPAPI and silverlight works just fine. However, Java simply refuses to work properly so far. It looks like Google's chrome team has removed or changed a lot of the supporting code for NPAPI. We will give a few more day's work to investigate the possibility. But from what we are looking at now, we might have to live without Java in Slimjet 6 built on top of Chromium 46.

We will make Slimjet 5 available for users who have to have Java support in any case.
Hi there,

I don't use Java; however, will other NPAPI plugins such as Google Talk and Quicktime continue to work fine on Slimjet v6?

Thanks!

edit: Good to hear you got Java running in v46; let's hope that you manage to keep NPAPI going for as long as possible!

sweetpeas
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:03 am

Re: Slimjet 6 and Java support

Post by sweetpeas » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:59 am

That would be nice it's sounds cripple when browsing without java.
Don't make fun of java they make all applications to work on Linux as well not only browser.

This is why I'm looking forward to FlashPeak's developments.
You've done lot's of amazing jobs about enhancing browsers.
Whether Slimbrowser, Slimboat, Slimjet

Locked