Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
reactorr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by reactorr » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:38 am

dev wrote:
reactorr wrote:R.I.P. SLIMJET
There is a new beta out mr doom and gloom.

heeeyyy yeeeees yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess. thank you, Testing!

and why Chromium 44 ? Chromium 45 released.

neo.hackx14
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:28 pm

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by neo.hackx14 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:16 am

Well, answers to all the questions posted in this thread.

Slimjet 5.0.1.0 is here and looks good at this point.

Ad blocker and super turbocharged download option added!

Kudos to the developers.

Please stop worrying about Slimjet being on Chromium 44, Google Chrome is different & Slimjet is different.

I am sure more developments will come in near future with more advancements.


SJ_Diamond
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 am

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by SJ_Diamond » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:18 am

Chromium updates can be buggy, therefor it makes sometimes sense to skip certain versions as they can be a serious threat for browser stability sometimes.

Also the security aspect is no "immediate certain kill" if one or 2 Chromium versions are skipped for example. Instead you should be thankful that the developers try to give you the most stable experience possible, and the hell, with Chromium this can be sometimes a real struggle!

So, it makes no sense complaining why not using this or that engine. It is the choice of the developers! And towards the topic of Chromium 45 - this is a bug ridden total mess, which another browser which is based on Chromium is also experiencing right now. Chromium 45 breaks many things for them. So, why wasting time with upgrading to a bug ridden code!

Also keep in mind the only one who actually would be managing to do engine work and feature work thanks to raw manpower is the Chromium team itself! If Slimjet guys or guys from other Chromium based browsers would actually use every single Chromium update, they never would have time for implementing their own specific feature sets!

If they would do that, you guys would have just another minimalist browser which does not set itself apart from Chromium itself! If you want to help them get stuff done faster, learn which tasks are necessary for browser developing and let yourself being hired! Without more man power, things just get a bit slower. That is a fact!

This is also one of the actual few down-sides of a project not Open Source! You are missing the opportunity of additional freelancer developers and people which code specific insight which helps you doing stuff the faster way.

That's the way it is and nothing else!

By the way, and another thing people do forget, that sometimes Chromium updates are forcing the developers to give up certain own development specific features, like advanced toolbar customization, because their own changes to the Chromium code just do not work anymore when updating to a newer one!

The only solution to work around that problem is creating a non native CSS/Javascript only UI or in forking a code base of choice and just backport security fixes or certain wanted under the hood features! So, be careful what you wish, because the next Chromium update could be also killing features YOU do actually love!

dev
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by dev » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:15 am

SJ_Diamond wrote:Chromium updates can be buggy, therefor it makes sometimes sense to skip certain versions as they can be a serious threat for browser stability sometimes.

Also the security aspect is no "immediate certain kill" if one or 2 Chromium versions are skipped for example. Instead you should be thankful that the developers try to give you the most stable experience possible, and the hell, with Chromium this can be sometimes a real struggle!

So, it makes no sense complaining why not using this or that engine. It is the choice of the developers! And towards the topic of Chromium 45 - this is a bug ridden total mess, which another browser which is based on Chromium is also experiencing right now. Chromium 45 breaks many things for them. So, why wasting time with upgrading to a bug ridden code!

Also keep in mind the only one who actually would be managing to do engine work and feature work thanks to raw manpower is the Chromium team itself! If Slimjet guys or guys from other Chromium based browsers would actually use every single Chromium update, they never would have time for implementing their own specific feature sets!

If they would do that, you guys would have just another minimalist browser which does not set itself apart from Chromium itself! If you want to help them get stuff done faster, learn which tasks are necessary for browser developing and let yourself being hired! Without more man power, things just get a bit slower. That is a fact!

This is also one of the actual few down-sides of a project not Open Source! You are missing the opportunity of additional freelancer developers and people which code specific insight which helps you doing stuff the faster way.

That's the way it is and nothing else!

By the way, and another thing people do forget, that sometimes Chromium updates are forcing the developers to give up certain own development specific features, like advanced toolbar customization, because their own changes to the Chromium code just do not work anymore when updating to a newer one!

The only solution to work around that problem is creating a non native CSS/Javascript only UI or in forking a code base of choice and just backport security fixes or certain wanted under the hood features! So, be careful what you wish, because the next Chromium update could be also killing features YOU do actually love!
Yeah totally agree chrome 45 has caused a lot of problems, the lack of plugins working due to NPAPI removal, allowing of in video ads being able to still run even if you have a adblocker. http://www.neowin.net/news/google-chrom ... -video-ads, it has also broke a lot of word press sites.

flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by flashpeak » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:32 pm

We spent a lot of time working on the implementation of the built-in ad blocker and multi-threaded download manager which are two time-consuming big features. That's why we lagged behind recently. But I think it is worth it since it creates more value for our users. We don't wanna be just a Chrome-syncer.

After that, we moved to Chromium 44, which took at least two weeks for migration and post-migration testing. When we are done with the migration, Chrome is 45 already.

However, we must be careful when upgrading to 45 since it completely dropped support for NPAPI. We will try to support NPAPI for as long as possible since there are a lot of users who still need it.
reactorr wrote:
dev wrote:
reactorr wrote:R.I.P. SLIMJET
There is a new beta out mr doom and gloom.

heeeyyy yeeeees yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess. thank you, Testing!

and why Chromium 44 ? Chromium 45 released.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

reactorr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by reactorr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:00 am

flashpeak wrote:We spent a lot of time working on the implementation of the built-in ad blocker and multi-threaded download manager which are two time-consuming big features. That's why we lagged behind recently. But I think it is worth it since it creates more value for our users. We don't wanna be just a Chrome-syncer.

After that, we moved to Chromium 44, which took at least two weeks for migration and post-migration testing. When we are done with the migration, Chrome is 45 already.

However, we must be careful when upgrading to 45 since it completely dropped support for NPAPI. We will try to support NPAPI for as long as possible since there are a lot of users who still need it. ]
thanks for the info but Newest Version Coming Soon | (chrome 46)

flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by flashpeak » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:49 am

A new version is always coming soon when it comes to Google chrome. Although they are using a new major revision each time, the underlying changes are really not much. They usually push out a new version every three or four weeks.
reactorr wrote:
flashpeak wrote:We spent a lot of time working on the implementation of the built-in ad blocker and multi-threaded download manager which are two time-consuming big features. That's why we lagged behind recently. But I think it is worth it since it creates more value for our users. We don't wanna be just a Chrome-syncer.

After that, we moved to Chromium 44, which took at least two weeks for migration and post-migration testing. When we are done with the migration, Chrome is 45 already.

However, we must be careful when upgrading to 45 since it completely dropped support for NPAPI. We will try to support NPAPI for as long as possible since there are a lot of users who still need it. ]
thanks for the info but Newest Version Coming Soon | (chrome 46)
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

SJ_Diamond
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 am

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by SJ_Diamond » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Newer Chromium versions are not always good ones. 45 is a good example for a real messed up ugly one!

reactorr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Changing of the Blink/Chromium engine version

Post by reactorr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Stable Channel Update 45.0.2454.93

Locked