Opening Slimjet from Desktop

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
sjguy111

Opening Slimjet from Desktop

Post by sjguy111 »

Slimjet 4.0.15.0 on Windows 10

This has just started happening recently. It happens any time

I go to the Desktop and click on the Slimjet icon. I get this..

Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?

Yes No

To get around it I've been right clicking the icon and then clicking Open.

p.s. not happening on IE11 or FF. They open fine.

Any thoughts on this one? Thanks!!

sjguy111

Re: Opening Slimjet from Desktop

Post by sjguy111 »

I resolved the problem this way...

1. Deleted the SJ icon on the Desktop.

2. Went to All apps > FlashPeak Slimjet
and picked up the icon from there for the Desktop.

It works now... issue closed.

dev

Post by dev »

You could have just switched off UAC. Just type uac s in windows search

sjguy111

Post by sjguy111 »

dev, glad you mentioned that because I almost forgot that I did go to the settings page initially,
and I tested moving the setting from the 'default' down a notch (in the direction of 'Never notify).' That's when I saw 'not recommended' stated, and I thought that I better not do it and see if there was another way. I'm still confused about whether I should have moved it to 'do not notify' or not.

dev

Post by dev »

sjguy111 wrote:dev, glad you mentioned that because I almost forgot that I did go to the settings page initially,
and I tested moving the setting from the 'default' down a notch (in the direction of 'Never notify).' That's when I saw 'not recommended' stated, and I thought that I better not do it and see if there was another way. I'm still confused about whether I should have moved it to 'do not notify' or not.
Well its a personal choice to or not switch it off, me myself feel confident enough to which programs alter windows or which programs i install without another program telling me it may not be safe. A good anti virus (panda cloud my option) the in built windows defender on windows 10 is pretty good in itself, windows firewall is as good as anything else out there, a good anti malware program can be added (malawarebytes for instance) all of these will keep you pretty safe with uac switched off.
I will add this link http://www.howtogeek.com/223228/use-an- ... y-attacks/ both programs mention in the article are a plus for security.

Just plain old common sense is your best tool if it looks like mold on your orange don't eat it !! :D

sjguy111

Post by sjguy111 »

Prior to Windows 10, I used MSE. Now I rely on the built-in windows defender. I also have been a long-time user of the free Malwarebytes, but was not aware of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free. I just installed it. Thanks again!!