Slimjet fails to run, then crashes, under KDE

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
marlosol

Slimjet fails to run, then crashes, under KDE

Post by marlosol »

Can anyone duplicate this -- or can anyone tell me that this is working on their system?

On Linux Mint Qiana: Slimjet appears to install normally from the .deb file, and creates a start menu item. But when the menu item it selected, the program gets no further than displaying an Icon in the Task Manager bar, then is displaying a non-functional window that says Slimjet on the top border. The only way of closing the program is through the context menu, in the Task Manager.

However, it doesn't really close when this option is selected -- :o it crashes. An error message is displayed that the program has stopped responding (i.e., it crashed) and KDE then offers to kill it, or for the user to 'wait'. Waiting doesn't work.

I think this is peculiar to KDE, since Slimjet installed and runs, without a 'hitch' -- under the Enlightenment environment, in Bodhi Linux.

:!: So, again, would someone running KDE please tell me it Slimjet can run, and be functional :?:

If no, you can't get it to run either, there's some work to be done by the developers. But, if yes, please tell me where I went wrong.

What do you need to know to help me fix this?

marlosol

Re: Slimjet fails to run, then crashes, under KDE

Post by marlosol »

marlosol wrote:...
If no, you can't get it to run either, there's some work to be done by the developers. But, if yes, please tell me where I went wrong.

At this point, I think the best answer is here.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit? I will give it a shot.
marlosol wrote:Can anyone duplicate this -- or can anyone tell me that this is working on their system?

On Linux Mint Qiana: Slimjet appears to install normally from the .deb file, and creates a start menu item. But when the menu item it selected, the program gets no further than displaying an Icon in the Task Manager bar, then is displaying a non-functional window that says Slimjet on the top border. The only way of closing the program is through the context menu, in the Task Manager.

However, it doesn't really close when this option is selected -- :o it crashes. An error message is displayed that the program has stopped responding (i.e., it crashed) and KDE then offers to kill it, or for the user to 'wait'. Waiting doesn't work.

I think this is peculiar to KDE, since Slimjet installed and runs, without a 'hitch' -- under the Enlightenment environment, in Bodhi Linux.

:!: So, again, would someone running KDE please tell me it Slimjet can run, and be functional :?:

Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

I tried Slimjet 4.0.15.0 (64bit Zip Package(tar.xz)) on Linux Mint 17 KDE (Qiana). It works fine.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

kent foo

Post by kent foo »

dear friend,

the .deb package is for ubuntu os only.
could you try zip package?

-------------------------
Generic linux (SUSE, CentOS, Mint, Fedora, RHEL, Slackware, etc):

64bit Zip Package(tar.xz) ( 53.63MB, 2015-07-28)

32bit Zip Package(tar.xz) ( 52.66MB , 2015-07-28 )

NOTE (for zip package): Extract the archive into any folder you choose. Run the script "flashpeak-slimjet" from the terminal for the first time to enable the sand box (admin access required). After that, you can run it from anywhere.

marlosol

Post by marlosol »

flashpeak wrote:Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit? I will give it a shot.
Thanks for the reply. 32-bit.

marlosol

Post by marlosol »

kent foo wrote:...
the .deb package is for ubuntu os only.
could you try zip package?
-------------------------
Generic linux (SUSE, CentOS, Mint, Fedora, RHEL, Slackware, etc):
32bit Zip Package(tar.xz) ( 52.66MB , 2015-07-28 )
OK, will try. You're right, I didn't notice Mint was being included in the 'Generic Linux' list, since none of the others there are Debian/Ubuntu-based -- as is Mint.

I will reinstall from the above-listed generic package and see what happens. I have made a comment about about my graphics card and driver, another possible problem.

marlosol

Post by marlosol »

flashpeak wrote:I tried Slimjet 4.0.15.0 (64bit Zip Package(tar.xz)) on Linux Mint 17 KDE (Qiana). It works fine.
Thanks for letting me know the problem isn't related to KDE, and also showing me that the tar.xz package is a better choice that a .deb one.

Sorry for not noticing that on your compatibility list -- Mint is not considered to be Ubuntu-related.

Mint encourages its users to use only packages from its own repos -- and Slimjet isn't there, yet -- but when that happens, the Ubuntu/Debian packages very frequently work OK. But, from what you're telling me, I think Slimjet may be an exception ...

Over on the Mint forum I was advised to try and get into a Slimjet menu, so that I could disable hardware graphics acceleration. Unfortunately, I am not able to access any of the menus -- it wasn't loading far enough for that. It will be interesting to see if the generic package works as well with the 32-bit version as it does, in the 64-bit one, as shown in your screenshot.

Should it turn out to be graphics-related, I'm running with a Radeon EAH-5450 graphics adaptor.