SlimJet is reported as a threat

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
djg14

Re: SlimJet is reported as a threat

Post by djg14 »

I appreciate your difficulties but also from our side there is so much malware around that we have to rely on the security software we have installed to protect us. I do not mean you any disrespect but I have not really dealt with you before to any degree.

To help you I have reported it to Avast but if they ask for the file to be uploaded then I cannot do that as I am on slow connection here.

Hope this will help you.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

After shooting a couple of serious emails to Avast today, I've received another virus definition update later today. I checked again and Slimjet now comes up clean. However, based on my past experience with Avast, they might come back any time. Sometimes they just take the easy shortcut of white-listing a particular version of the executable file. If that is what they do, it will come back next time we update the software.

There are many free antivirus software out there. You might try Free AVG instead, for example, if Avast causes repeated problem for you.

Our development system is always protected with industry top dog Norton Antivirus. We wouldn't ship any product which includes virus or other malware.

djg14 wrote:I appreciate your difficulties but also from our side there is so much malware around that we have to rely on the security software we have installed to protect us. I do not mean you any disrespect but I have not really dealt with you before to any degree.

To help you I have reported it to Avast but if they ask for the file to be uploaded then I cannot do that as I am on slow connection here.

Hope this will help you.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

Scribe_uk

Post by Scribe_uk »

flashpeak wrote:I'd have to agree with oftentired on this. Users should be more proactive on this and help submit the samples to Avast as well. We already did it ourselves. Even more people submit Slimjet as false positive, that should help give the sleepy Avast guys a wake-up call.

If we had the muscles like Microsoft and Google, we would want to sue Avast for damage to our reputation. Oh, I guess there would be no need to. The Avast guys would blame their own sleepy eyes automatically if they somehow detect a virus in a Microsoft product.

If you have trust with our product, you can simply set an exclusion for Slimjet in Avast user interface. Nowadays, AV software becomes more nasty and deletes suspects automatically without giving users choice to override and add exceptions. If you want to add an exception, you will have to find it very hard in an unnoticeable corner of the software. For Avast, it's in Settings->Antivirus->Exclusion. Just add the path of Slimjet.exe to the list of exclusions.
Scribe_uk wrote:Hmmm, Given the trouble I've had with Avast quarantining SJ, I think I'll wait until you confirm that it's OK again, before attempting to run it.
Okay thanks. Avast really does seem to have a problem with SJ for some strange reason!