Icon problem

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Icon problem

Post by paul1149 »

I've been having a toolbar icon problem for a couple of weeks. The icons don't want to change color as they are designed to. I have LastPass, which lights up when you're logged in, I have a Gmail notifier which changes color when there's mail, and there's ublock-origin, which I think should go gray when a local page such as Settings is active. None of these do what they're supposed to do.

I have four profiles, and in the two main ones this problem exists. A third profile is lighter, for exporting to laptops I refurb, and that one works. The fourth is a clean profile without these extensions. But I've tested the 2 heavy profiles by disabling all extensions except LastPass, and that doesn't eliminate the problem.

I've done several SJ updates, does nothing. So I suspect something in the profile, but I have no idea what. I've also Reset the toolbar to no avail.

dev

Re: Icon problem

Post by dev »

I had this problem with ghostery icon it was black instead of blue. So for some reason i tried the disable webrtc options and the disable reading html canvas one now i cant remember what i actually did but i think if you enable the reading one the icons might work. try a combination of the settings it might work for you.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Oh my. I reversed both settings, to max permissiveness, cycled SJ, and boom, LastPass is bright red! My man, you are a genius! ;) Now I need to find out which setting is the cause, and decide whether the exposure is worth it. Oy vey.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

It must be some kind of initiating problem, because I unchecked WebRTC again, and it still lit up. Then I disabled canvassing, and it STILL lit up, after cycling SJ. Strange. But I'm glad it's working. Thanks again.

dev

Post by dev »

yeah its a funny one for sure and it was really annoying me for a while as with ghostery if its a black icon that usually means its off/paused so i kept thinking it wasn't working yet every time i checked it, it was blocking as it should. Why i thought it was those settings i can't remember for the life of me but the ghostery icon turned back to blue after i fiddled with them.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Yes, it's logic is beyond me at the moment. :)

I was wrong about it being fixed. It appears to be the fault of the canvassing setting, and that setting locks the icons into whatever state they are in. So this time my icons were in the "on" state rather than "off". I've unchecked the canvassing setting for now and will report it as a bug.

dev

Post by dev »

yeah i had feeling it may be the canvas settings and cheers for reporting it as a bug as i should have really :)

Quick ? for you Does your zoom button (the custom toolbar one) lock up when zooming to max 500%. I want to say its a bug but not sure that's what is meant to happen.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Never used it before, but it seems to me it could use improvement - like a dropdown menu to go directly to the desired zoom, and the ability to zoom out in increments.

Yes, it goes gray at max zoom. Then you have to click its counterpart in the address bar and select Default zoom. I suppose the second icon is to alert you you are at something other than default zoom, but a color change on the main icon would do just as well without dividing up the function. I'm sensitive to design simplicity not just on aesthetic grounds, but because I have friends and customers who are untechy and need all the help they can get.

BTW, Not to be totally negative, I'll say one positive thing about the new toolbar scheme. I like the new Home icon.

dev

Post by dev »

Thanks for checking it out and yeah the fact u have to click elsewhere to obtain a function that should be obtained by one button does seem counter-productive, it could do with a sub menu or a extra button to zoom out even. This is my bug bear with chrome/chromium based browsers is that the whole layout is counterproductive, so many similar or same functions available from different menus or the toolbar/address bar. Take zoom for example in slimjet there is four instances of it one is the toolbar button then the address bar then the cog wheel menu and then there is one in the settings page. Clear browsing data is a another one, downloads is one and the list goes on. So much real estate taken up visually and more confusing for non techy people than a rubik's cube.