Flash problems on Linux

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Flash problems on Linux

Post by paul1149 »

I've got an install of Puppy Linux going (ubuntu based). It comes with Chrome and two other browsers. I also installed SJ from the .deb package.

SJ does fine, except that flash videos drive the CPU to 98% and the video stutters. Chrome does not have this problem.

I checked the plugins, and SJ uses Flash 18..., while Chrome uses 12... . Online, Adobe says 12 is the last Linux version they will produce. ???

When I disable the flash plugin, youtube tells me I must install flash or get an html5 browser. I thought SJ was an html5 browser??

As you can see I'm confused at this point. I've reinstalled a couple of times with no difference. I installed flash 12 afresh, but SJ stills says version 18...

Help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get this unit done and returned to the owner.
Last edited by oftentired on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made Sticky for 5 days

ikar..us

Re: Flash problems on Linux

Post by ikar..us »

No solution, but two informations:

Chromium based browsers don't use the flash plugin, but have the player compiled in.
As http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ states, this version is maintained for Linux.
As http://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php states, this must be 18.0.0.160 in current SJ.

If there's a flash plugin registereded in SJ, it may be hindering?

The page https://www.youtube.com/html5 gives information about the HTML5 capabilities YouTube recognizes.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks Ikar. That doesn't resolve my confusion on the versions, but I appreciate the effort. This is the first linux install that I've had this problem on. I may end up switching distros anyway, but wouldl like to understand what's going on.

ikar..us

Post by ikar..us »

It should resolve your confusion.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough?
SJ includes both players.
The HTML5 player from Chromium,
and the Flash player 18 from Adobe is compiled in, too.
That's why you don't see your flash plugin 12 being used.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

(assuming if it is accurate that 18 won't support Linux)

Slimjet is including version 18 but version 12 is the last one Adobe says will support Linux... Why is 18 instead of 12 being included with the distribution?

And how does one disable 18 within Slimjet and continue to use 12 from outside Slimjet until Slimjet resolves the problem?

ikar..us

Post by ikar..us »

oftentired wrote:(assuming if it is accurate that 18 won't support Linux)
Please read the version table in http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ .

Adobe does supply PPAPI 18 for Linux.

But they stopped the NPAPI plugin at 11, so
they do not support NPAPI 12 on Linux.

And the NPAPI plugin is only for Firefox!
Last edited by ikar..us on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Ok, I've gone ahead with a different distro on the same machine. Firefox runs video beautifully, Slimjet jumped in 2.5sec increments on hardware acceleration. Without acceleration it's quite smooth, just a touch of stuttering noticed, especially on full screen (24" monitor).

Firefox is running the 11.2 plugin. Slimjet has the 18 PP.

I ran this same distro in a VM on my own machine, and SJ worked fine. So clearly there's a problem with the older Intel graphics chip. I think SJ will be satisfactory, but we will see. I would much rather use it, as I maintain the machine for my friend and it would be much easier for me.

Or would it be better to install adobe 12 on SJ, if that is even possible?

BTW, both SJ and FF have only one flash plugin each.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I think I've solved much of the video problem. I discovered that I needed to uncheck "force flash at youtube". When I did that, I could reenable hardware acceleration. Now the machine would play HD videos at youtube, at 24" fullscreen, with just a barely noticeable touch of frame lag. Considering the hardware, this was a score. I don't know why the "force flash" setting is enabled out of the box. And that setting explains why youtube was suggesting I upgrade to an html5 browser.

However it looks like we've lost one user to Firefox. My friend's vision isn't great, so I found I was able to set the system mouse pointer to a much larger size. Great, except that for some reason as soon as the pointer hovered over Slimjet it reverted to original size. Not sure why, but this was enough to start steering her toward FF.

BTW, very impressed with LinuxLiteOS. Very much like Windows, but light, fast and elegant.