Moving toolbar buttons.

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
flashpeak
Site Admin

Moving toolbar buttons.

Post by flashpeak »

We are thinking about moving all the additional toolbar buttons (except for the three navigation buttons: back / forward / reload) to the right side of the omni box. This can separate the navigational buttons from the other functional buttons. Does it make sense? Please share your comments.

I've attached a screenshot of two layouts for comparison.
clipimage.jpg
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev

Re: Moving toolbar buttons.

Post by dev »

Personally i think that may be too much real estate of the browser taken up on the right side, I have four extension buttons already on the right which have a bigger size padding than your buttons so if i have to add the four buttons of yours that i have on the left to them as-well that will take up quite a bit of room on the right. It would to me make my browser look lopsided if you know what i mean. Also add in the fact that not everybody has a nice big monitor picture a small screen like a 14inch monitor etc.

Why not have the option to split the buttons to which side they go to, so have the navigation buttons (the three you mention plus zoom, clear browser data, downloads, translate, reopen closed tab, history, open file, home, etc) on the left and then the rest ( Facebook, ebay, weather, etc) on the right if used or visa verse if users want it.

You could if possible have a tree style pop up/down menu so hit a arrow icon (like the one to customize toolbar button you have already) then the buttons the users have chosen to use appear and are clickable, this would then give the option of right or left without eating into the real estate of the browser's interface.

Yet another way would be to give use this option Address bar location: Full size or Center (check out 7star to see what it looks like) if you have it on center it clears up a lot of room on the right and the left of the address bar then for buttons etc.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Would the choice still exist to have the rest of the buttons on the left?

I've got them all on the right at this time but I could grow accustomed to the navigation buttons staying on the left.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I currently have the toolbar on the left only because that allows me to tuck seldom-used icons, bookmarks manager and Reopen Tabs, out of the way on the extreme left side.

Ideal for me would be just to keep those two over there, and the navigational icons on the right with the extension bar.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

Only the three navigational buttons stay fixed on the left side. The other buttons still have the option to be either on the left or the right side.
oftentired wrote:Would the choice still exist to have the rest of the buttons on the left?

I've got them all on the right at this time but I could grow accustomed to the navigation buttons staying on the left.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:Only the three navigational buttons stay fixed on the left side. The other buttons still have the option to be either on the left or the right side.
oftentired wrote:Would the choice still exist to have the rest of the buttons on the left?

What does that achieve tho apart from removing a choice/option from users. Seems a backward step to remove any option from a browser and yet another one after you stopped middle click open tab in background.
Make it so the user can pick which side any individual button can go on not a group of buttons

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

makes sense to me. The other buttons are more like 'extensions' so they can be kept there. Would be nice if you could move the buttons where you want...each one independent of the other, even intermixing with the extensions...

or....allow the extension to be moved to the left side, also!

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

dev wrote:Make it so the user can pick which side any individual button can go on not a group of buttons
yup, he said it b4 me!

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

At the very least, I don't get the logic of moving the most-used buttons, ie the Nav buttons, to the extreme left, as far as possible away from the address bar and the typical mouse pointer position.

dev

Post by dev »

Now a added command line to the right click context menu, I have my own choice of security thanks ! More options being added that people don't want to slimjet than google is adding to chrome.

If its not broke don't try and fix it :x